Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

what to do with green peppers?

littlelily613
littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
I just got an amazing deal on green peppers from the farmer's market. Paid 5$ and got about 20 peppers. Of course it's only a good deal if I don't let them rot. Any ideas on what to do with them? They need to be paleo friendly!

Replies

• meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    stir fry
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,010 Member
    Stuffed peppers, freeze extra.
    Fajitas
    Just dice and freeze for later
  • jomckillop
    jomckillop Posts: 19 Member
    white fish, bacon, peppers, chopped tomatos, fry it all up in a pan, grate cheese over and gril - yummy
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Grill em and put em on a steak.

Stuff them with something.

Stir fry them

Add them to salad
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Cajun food! Green peppers are in all the recipes. Jambalaya! Yum!
  • I put them in salsa, with cucumber, onion, jalapeno, and tomatoes of coarse season with cumin, a little sea salt and garlic powder
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    eat them... you should definitely eat them
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    grill them and eat them with anything
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Fajitas
    Salad
    Paleo-friendly pizza - there is such a thing
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    I have a bumper crop from our garden :) I use them for stir fry and omelets. Last night I chopped up potatoes, onions, green peppers and garlic and cooked in the skillet...then added cooked ground sausage.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member

Just dice and freeze for later

This. It works best if you can slice them, lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and start to freeze them a bit before packaging them in containers or baggies. They don't stick together so much when you pull them out to use for stir fry or whatever else you might be making.
  • stuffed pepper soup
  • soopaang
    soopaang Posts: 27 Member
    -Sliced, Raw
    -Stuffed (can take out rice for Paleo friendly)
    -Add to almost any sauce
    -Sautee with onions and garlic and turn into a broth/cream based soup
    -Stir Fry
    -Gumbo
    -Add to a breakfast hash
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Anything and everything, eat them raw, fry them, steam them, sautee them, grill them, put them in soup/stew, stuff them in some sort of meat. By far one of the best and most versatile veggies!
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Sausage and peppers....a little onion too.
  • littlelily613
    eat them... you should definitely eat them

Very insightful... Thanks for the tip...
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Sweet Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/11/sweet-stuffed-bell-pepper-soup.html
    Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

Medium onion, diced
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    Pinch of red pepper flakes
    16 oz lean ground beef or turkey
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 bell peppers, chopped (use any color combination you like)
    1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
    1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
    4 cups beef or chicken broth
    1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
    Parmesan (optional)

Directions

Spray a large pot with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sprinkle with salt & peppers and allow them to sweat for a few minutes. Add the ground beef and brown. While the beef is browning, chop the peppers, and puree the stewed tomatoes in the blender. Once the beef is brown, stir in the chopped peppers and the diced tomatoes. Let the flavors mix a bit. Add the pureed stewed tomatoes and broth. Add the rice and raise the heat to high. Bring everything to a boil then cover and reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 30 - 40 minutes until rice is tender. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan if you like.
  • littlelily613
    Thanks for all the serious ideas. Welcoming others as well. Bad thing is that I don't have a deep freeze, but I can still freeze some of them
  • littlelily613
    Sweet Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/11/sweet-stuffed-bell-pepper-soup.html
    Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

Medium onion, diced
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    Pinch of red pepper flakes
    16 oz lean ground beef or turkey
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 bell peppers, chopped (use any color combination you like)
    1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
    1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
    4 cups beef or chicken broth
    1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
    Parmesan (optional)

Directions

Spray a large pot with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sprinkle with salt & peppers and allow them to sweat for a few minutes. Add the ground beef and brown. While the beef is browning, chop the peppers, and puree the stewed tomatoes in the blender. Once the beef is brown, stir in the chopped peppers and the diced tomatoes. Let the flavors mix a bit. Add the pureed stewed tomatoes and broth. Add the rice and raise the heat to high. Bring everything to a boil then cover and reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 30 - 40 minutes until rice is tender. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan if you like.

Mmmmm I will leave the rice out and try this for sure!!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,838 Member
    Green peppers are one of the easiest things to freeze. You just cut them in half, take out the seeds, wash them and throw them in a bag to freeze. No blanching or anything else. They do lose their stiffness after freezing so they are not much use for salads but great to use cooked. Getting a little fancier, so you can grab a handful at a time out of the freezer, is to cut them up, dry them with a paper towel, and freeze the pieces in a single layer on a cookie sheet. If you throw them into a bag when they are already frozen, they shouldn't stick together in one big lump. My mother always froze a bushel or so of green peppers for us to eat all winter.

Also, look for cheap red peppers right now. They can be frozen the same way or roasted first and then either frozen or whirred into a puree and frozen. The frozen red pepper puree can be turned into soup or a good pasta/veggie sauce.