Camping Recipe Ideas

Options
MamaFunky
MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
Looking for ideas of things to cook while tent camping. Calories are not a concern since we do enough hiking and moving around to burn everything off. :laugh:

We are also the type of campers that bring everything but the kitchen sink. So we will have a fryer, coleman stove, and a grill surface to go over the campfire. We usually do things like burgers, fried chicken, potatoes and onions in foil, etc.

I was making my grocery list and just thought I would see if anyone had any yummy things they like to cook while camping.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert ideas welcome!!

Thanks in advance! :drinker:

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Chicken Kiev

I first had Chicken Kiev on a campout with the Scouts. One scout had a thing about cooking and could make anything over a fire.

Pound boneless, skinless chicken breast between two rocks or with a mallet until 1/4 inch thick. Don't pound ti so thin it breaks.
    Wrap the chicken breast around a finger of butter, about the size of a baby carrot
    Tuck over the ends and secure with a toothpick or twig.
    Dip in beaten egg then roll in breadcrumbs
    Deep fry or fry in a pan.

Chicken Cordon Bleu
    Same as above, except substitute for butter:
    One thin slice of ham and cheese, roll them up tightly and trim so it will fit in the chicken breast.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love to make a fancy sauce or two in advance and bring it in a container! Lemon thyme cream sauce, homemade bbq sauce, hollandaise, etc. They would be such a pain to make while camping but can add taste and delicious calories to any meal.
  • MamaFunky
    Options
    Chicken Kiev

I first had Chicken Kiev on a campout with the Scouts. One scout had a thing about cooking and could make anything over a fire.

Pound boneless, skinless chicken breast between two rocks or with a mallet until 1/4 inch thick. Don't pound ti so thin it breaks.
    Wrap the chicken breast around a finger of butter, about the size of a baby carrot
    Tuck over the ends and secure with a toothpick or twig.
    Dip in beaten egg then roll in breadcrumbs
    Deep fry or fry in a pan.

Chicken Cordon Bleu
    Same as above, except substitute for butter:
    One thin slice of ham and cheese, roll them up tightly and trim so it will fit in the chicken breast.

Thank you for the ideas! I love the Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe! That sounds great!
  • MamaFunky
    Options
    I love to make a fancy sauce or two in advance and bring it in a container! Lemon thyme cream sauce, homemade bbq sauce, hollandaise, etc. They would be such a pain to make while camping but can add taste and delicious calories to any meal.

That is a great idea as well! We always have a bottle of hot sauce to help spice up a meal but some homemade sauces would be even better! Thank you!