Anyone else not worried about weight?

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new here, I've only been logging regularly for a few days now. I studied abroad last year and I didn't gain weight, but I lost a LOT of muscle. Now I'm in university and I'm working hard to get back into shape.
While I do have a goal weight, I'm actually not worried about it. I just want to regain the muscle definition that I used to have and the strength and the stamina. My only real goal is to stay in shape. For this reason, I've decided not to weigh myself at all until the new year.
Is there anyone else with similar priorities who would like to be friends? :)

I'm 19, female, 4'9", and as of two months ago I weighed 122 lbs. if any of that is relevant.

Replies

• NBENG
    NBENG Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I do have a goal weight however over the last while I notice my weight plateauing but my waist line has been dropping. I find if you balance weights and cardio the weight loss is slower but you loose inches. I have also found my definition has gotten a lot better.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    To a certain extent. My weight is not an obsession for me, I have a ton of muscle (my profile pic is only a few days old) so I know that that's part of it. At 5'2 I'm still about 15-20 pounds from so called normal bmi, but if by some misfortune e the weight loss fairies said I can't lose any more I'd be bummed but my life wouldn't be over. :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm just praying that God will miracle the fat away
  • RoninsMom5
    Options
    same here, its just a bonus. Im just focused on the post pregnancy flap.
  • Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I do have a goal weight however over the last while I notice my weight plateauing but my waist line has been dropping. I find if you balance weights and cardio the weight loss is slower but you loose inches. I have also found my definition has gotten a lot better.
    I've always been muscular from sports, but I've never really dipped into weights before. It's definitely something I'm interested in though. How would you suggest that I begin with that?
    To a certain extent. My weight is not an obsession for me, I have a ton of muscle (my profile pic is only a few days old) so I know that that's part of it. At 5'2 I'm still about 15-20 pounds from so called normal bmi, but if by some misfortune e the weight loss fairies said I can't lose any more I'd be bummed but my life wouldn't be over. :)
    Yep, I'm about the same. I'm right at the high end of a normal BMI. I don't look overweight thought, and I know that if I ever got well into the normal range I'd look sick because I'm just a naturally more muscular person.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Definitely check the weight lifting forums for girls. Weight lifting is da bomb! There is strong lifts, 5x5, and I hear the book, "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" is quite good. I lift weights for muscle, but mostly because of stress. After even 40 mins of intense weight training the stress is just non-existent.
  • Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Definitely check the weight lifting forums for girls. Weight lifting is da bomb! There is strong lifts, 5x5, and I hear the book, "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" is quite good. I lift weights for muscle, but mostly because of stress. After even 40 mins of intense weight training the stress is just non-existent.
    Thanks, I'll check it out!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm pretty new here, I've only been logging regularly for a few days now. I studied abroad last year and I didn't gain weight, but I lost a LOT of muscle. Now I'm in university and I'm working hard to get back into shape.
    While I do have a goal weight, I'm actually not worried about it. I just want to regain the muscle definition that I used to have and the strength and the stamina. My only real goal is to stay in shape. For this reason, I've decided not to weigh myself at all until the new year.
    Is there anyone else with similar priorities who would like to be friends? :)

I'm 19, female, 4'9", and as of two months ago I weighed 122 lbs. if any of that is relevant.

Hello & Welcome to MFP!

Double kudos for another 'fun size' member! YAY (I'm 4'10") ^.^

While I was losing I weight in once a week because I needed some indicator of progress.

But now that I'm maintaining I weight in maybe every 2-3 weeks as sort of a 'pulse-check.'

I think if weighing in regularly is too stressful then you shouldn't do it.

However, I do think you should have some form of quantifier to Gage progress. Perhaps photos? or Clothes Fit?

Best of luck to you!
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well I suppose you could say I'm losing vanity pounds? I'm not overweight but I gained half the weight I lost a few years ago so really just want to fit into my clothes a bit easier lol
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    My focus has turned from weight to fitness because it is now obvious to me I will hit the weight goal. I am unusually weak and strength training has become a priority.

Starting resistance training, one progresses quickly, mostly due to better form. I obtained an inexpensive body measuring tape to better track progress

Whatever you choose to do, logging is the key. it keeps you accountable, measures progress, and reveals issues to be corrected.
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Well I suppose you could say I'm losing vanity pounds? I'm not overweight but I gained half the weight I lost a few years ago so really just want to fit into my clothes a bit easier lol
    That's a good move,ya got to nip it before it gets away from you!Then it's extra hard to catch up.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself, but mostly out of curiosity.

My goal is to lose BF% and gain more muscle tone. I pay much more attention to the photos and measuring that I do for my progress.

It's all about body recomp. Last time I was really working out I went from a very soft (post pregnancy) 130 to a toned 129. Only 1 lb difference but visually it was huge. Then I got soft again (stopped working out) and am trying to get back to an even more muscle-y body.
  • jannthompson
    jannthompson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, and no. I have a 'goal' weight that I am shooting for. After that I want to put more focus on toning and building lean muscle.

I'm also trying to put focus on life style changes. Logically, I know I will never be able to keep up a 'diet' forever. I can however eat better and still fit in those occasional treats.
  • puccagirl77
    puccagirl77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. I have been there, done that, got the XS t-shirt. I am much happier now 10 years later and 40 lbs heavier and not obsessed with my food intake. I would rather be happy than skinny. I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but I am not willing to trade my happiness to be skinny again.

So with that attitude, what am I even doing here? I certainly don't want to gain any weight and I would like to feel healthier. If losing weight comes along with that, it is just icing on the cake (mmm, cake).

Really, my goal is to make better choices more consistently. For example, I've been more aware of all the opportunities for poor eating are constantly presenting themselves. Over the past three days I have been presented with bagels (twice) and Popsicles at work and cheese and fried foods and cookies at two after-work events. If I had taken advantage of these offers, I think my calorie count would have been 50% higher than it was. So really just trying to be more mindful.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Well. I mean, I'm trying to lose weight, because there's a ton of it to go. Is it my end all be all goal? No. I have a goal weight idea but only because I'm so far away. I'm really concerned more about dropping body fat and that's what I work on. When you're 5'11'' and 274lbs, weight is a slight focus ya know haha. But I don't really care what the scale says as long as my measurements change and my body fat drops and all that.