Dr. Oz. Interesting read

Options
I saw this article today. Seems the legit medical community is ALSO sick of his paid endorsements for fake crap.

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/12/5891451/meet-the-medical-student-who-wants-to-bring-down-dr-oz-quackery

Maybe this will cut down on the Raspberry Ketones and other supplements questions? Nah,prolly not.

Interesting read anyway :)

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    None of his followers seemed to bat an eye when he was called before congress and he admitted that he did not believe that anything he promoted worked. So, my guess is, nope, no one will care.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I came here shoot holes in whatever interesting thing I thought Dr. Oz was going to tell me. Glad to read this, instead :D

Everyone at work asks me what I did to lose weight, and I explain it to them in the amount of detail they seem to want to hear. Then it always ends up with these ladies saying that "Dr. Oz said this.." Of course, they always lose a bunch of weight the first week, then come back for advice when they gain it all back. And I try to help again because I'm a sucker. Then they go on some Oprah diet. I'll get through to them some day :) Maybe Benjamin Mazer will help!

/rant
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a joke
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The words Dr oz and interesting should not be used in the ssme sentence. But this... this I like.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I came here shoot holes in whatever interesting thing I thought Dr. Oz was going to tell me. Glad to read this, instead :D

Ha! This.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't mind when people try to sell things by making ridiculous claims. Good for them. The fool gets the stuff they sell and they get rich. Yay.

I mind very much that Doctor Oz says these things as if he's giving out sound, medical advice. It's BS. They should yank his license.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Sadly, the article states that the AMA and other medical boards took no action. Dr. Oz and other quacks continue unfettered.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pass!
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Everyone at work asks me what I did to lose weight, and I explain it to them in the amount of detail they seem to want to hear. Then it always ends up with these ladies saying that "Dr. Oz said this.." Of course, they always lose a bunch of weight the first week, then come back for advice when they gain it all back. And I try to help again because I'm a sucker. Then they go on some Oprah diet. I'll get through to them some day :) Maybe Benjamin Mazer will help!

/rant

you probably won't get through to them because what people want is a quick fix
    Dr Oz promises a very sexy quick fix , people never hear the disclaimer to ALL of his products
    "With proper diet and exercise"
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

/rant

Ha me too, I was getting ready to bring the snark hurrumph!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    From the article:
    Last year, Mazer brought a policy before the Medical Society of the State of New York — where Dr. Oz is licensed — requesting that they consider regulating the advice of famous physicians in the media. His idea: Treat health advice on TV in the same vein as expert testimony, which already has established guidelines for truthfulness.
    As little as I think of Dr. Oz, I would hope the U.S. First Amendment is more important than keeping a quack's mouth shut.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options

/rant

Ha me too, I was getting ready to bring the snark hurrumph!

x3 :happy:

"sciencebasedmedicine dot org" occasionally takes him down, too.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Love this. Anytime someone utters "Dr. Oz says blah blah blah" I want to scream.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    From the article:
    Last year, Mazer brought a policy before the Medical Society of the State of New York — where Dr. Oz is licensed — requesting that they consider regulating the advice of famous physicians in the media. His idea: Treat health advice on TV in the same vein as expert testimony, which already has established guidelines for truthfulness.
    As little as I think of Dr. Oz, I would hope the U.S. First Amendment is more important than keeping a quack's mouth shut.

It has nothing to do with free speech. As an American citizen he can say whatever he wants. The problem comes when his opinions are taken as medical advice. He knows (because he admitted it in front of Congress) what he is saying is bad information. It is malpractice. Therefore, he should lose his medical license. No one is saying he should lose his right to say dumb *kitten*.
  • shexy16
    shexy16 Posts: 68
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a creepy looking guy. And a phony.