Water Intake

Options
What constitutes one cup of water? 250ml? 500ml? 1l? I'm trying to get in the recommended 8 cups of water a day, but it's hard not knowing what exactly one cup is. I've Google searched and asked friends, but I get such a vast variety of answers. I go with the assumption of 500ml is one cup. If that's the case, I usually drink 4-5 cups a day. Is that enough? I find if I drink more, I need to go to the bathroom more. Also, does tea count as the water intake? Thanks for help with all this.

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've always assumed that a cup is 8 fluid ounces, which seems to be about 237ml. So I think you're fine with 4-5 500ml servings a day. You can gauge your level of hydration by the color of your urine - if it's light yellow in color, you're pretty well-hydrated. I do count tea and coffee as part of my overall water consumption. :smile:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you mean cup as in the measurement, it's as bajoyba said 8 ounces/237mL.

Some people use cups (ounces) as what they track. Some people use cup (as in whatever they drink from) as what they track. I drink from a glass that's about 500mL (2 cups) and I count each glassful I drink as 2 cups.

If it confuses you to track cups as in a measurement, just track cups as whatever you drink from.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you mean cup as in the measurement, it's as bajoyba said 8 ounces/237mL.

Some people use cups (ounces) as what they track. Some people use cup (as in whatever they drink from) as what they track. I drink from a glass that's about 500mL (2 cups) and I count each glassful I drink as 2 cups.

If it confuses you to track cups as in a measurement, just track cups as whatever you drink from.

Makes sense. I used to think that too, that whatever cup you're drinking from, but I thought maybe it wasn't enough. I tend to have a lot of 500ml water bottles because we get them for free at work so...

Thanks for this, from you and bajoyba. Now I know at least I'm taking in enough water. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There are 8oz in a cup. When they advise people to drink eight 8oz glasses of water a day, it works out to about 1.9 liters. :)