Pre-Weight-Training Cardio Question

Options
Hi.

My concern is not what if, but how much. I live 4.5 miles away from my gym, and it is uphill on a ~1% incline. I have two choices to get there: ride the bus, which costs $4 per day, or ride my bike. I can ride about 12 mph and my hr gets to about 125bpm, or 60% of max (that makes for a 20-30 min bike ride on city streets). I have googled my question and came up empty even though I tried to formulate it quite a few different ways, but here it is:

Will light cardio hurt, help, or have no relation to my weight training routine when I get to the gym?

Mayo Clinic claims it can be good, but as good as Mayo Clinic is, the MD that claimed that didn't list the studies for that claim, nor to what intensity level the cardio should be at:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/expert-answers/weightlifting/faq-20057921

So, can anyone in the Strength Training world share some insight as to what light cardio might do for a weight lifting routine? Right now, my plan has me going every other day, but that will increase once I rotate sections, and I really don't want to pay $50 a month if the hindrances are negligible. I am a student without an income and I am trying to cut costs where possible.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Twenty minutes of slow riding, treat it as a warm up.
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi, this is a very personal topic, imo. By that I mean that it varies from person to person. Many say not to cardio before weights, that after is better for calorie burn etc. I have tried both and feel, for me, I feel better if I do 20-30 mins of cardio then lift then finish off with light cardio. If I leave cardio til after lifting I don't have the energy for it lol.

So in answer to your question, try the biking and see what works for you - good luck!
  • JoKessho
    JoKessho Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also live about 4 miles downhill from my gym and I ride my bike there. As mentioned above, the cycling can be treated as a warm-up. I find that it doesn't affect my performance at the gym.

If you're worried about being too tired for maximum performance, then my advice to you is: take it easy - pedal at a relaxed pace and go in low gear.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    There are theories about cardio after weights are better for weight loss than before… but to my knowledge there are no *controlled* studies showing that cardio before or after weights has any real difference in weight loss/fat burning. If you are simply worried about how well you're able to do your weight routine… Then I agree with the others… take it slow and treat it as a warm up.