Logging food and Snacking

Options
I love MFP. There is just something about being able to see your progress that makes it successful! My problem is that when I am logging my food I find myself constanly wanting to snack. Does anyone else have this issue? Or tips on how to make that feeling go away?

Replies

• Jenn421
    Jenn421 Posts: 56
    Options
    i get that too and im not the best at it yet but i just starting gewing gum in instead keeps ur mouth busy and dont think about snacking as much... good luck!
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love the log too! I've been surprised by a few foods here & there.

I've tried to make dinner rewarding. Something I can look forward to and know that I'll miss out if I use too many calories snacking throughout the day. That helps me to make better snack choices (because I just can't give it up!). I have carrrots, cucumbers, pickles & a low-fat cheese stick in the fridge here at work right now. So I can snack all day & only use 150 - 200 calories.

I've been experimenting with new recipies to find new favorites & improve some old ones.

Hope that helps! And walk away from the snack machine!! LOL
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I know, you have to think about food more often when you are on a diet which results in being hungrier more often b/c of being so one track minded.

My suggestion is to log everything the night before. Plan your day in advance and pack you meals and snacks. It’s best to do this at or after dinner time since you won’t be immediately hungry at the thought. Consistency is key, don't be afraid to duplicate meals, have the same breakfast and lunch daily. It’s easy and you know what’s coming, something you love.
  • segagirl1
    Options
    I agree with logging the night before, planning a day ahead what you will eat the next day. I think it would be impossible to stay within your goals by guessing at the low cal combination then Come to find out at the end of the day you blew over your caloric intake goal
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ok, Thank you everyone! I will have to try the logging a night before thing! That sounds really helpful! And gum chewing too. Thanks again!!!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I usually know what the content of the food is before I consume it, so I put it into MFP right after my meal or snack. That usually fixes the snack attack feeling...I'm all ready full, so no cravings. I also have 3 meals, and another 2-3 snacks a day, so I'm usually full anyway. It's worked a little too well in controlling my calories, as I consistently under-eat during the day, even with 300-400 calorie meals and 200 - 300 calorie snacks. I need to find some other healthy choices to throw in there.

And I'm surprised no one else has said this yet, but make sure you are keeping hydrated. Filling up on water will help cut cravings.
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of water each day! But the thing is, I know Im NOT hungry, Im just a foodie! I love the taste of food...I just can't control it sometimes. Trying hard, but now that I am logging I think about food more than anything else in a day. But I have set some pretty great goals and they aren't too out of reach. I just want to stick with it this time! No more Yo-yo ing!!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I plan out everything ahead of time, usually in the morning. I plan out every meal and snack I can, including when I'll eat them. If I don't know what's going to happen for a certain meal(s), then I'll plan out everything else so I know what I have left to work with for the other meals.

If you know that a meal or snack is coming in an hour or two, it makes it easier to hold off, especially if you know that it's all part of the plan.