Menopause, ovarian cyst , periods and diabetes

Options
I am 43 years old . have diabetes 2 . I get ovarian cysts , As time goes on my period gets so bad the point i'm changing my pad hourly. sorry for the tmi but now it's coming out in clots - not alot . is this normal when going into pre menopause? My mother is deceased and i gave noone to ask these weird questions too lol... Does pre menopause make your period more painfull? ive had to take pain killers for the past 2 days because of it. also my BG readings have been higher then usual . im thinking thats from my period though. I've taked to my mother in law some what but just what age she started with hers but she's not the time of person to go into detail.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The pain is coming from the cysts, anti-inflammatories help. Did your doctor tell you that you were premenopausal? 43 is kind of young. These are questions for your doctor to answer. Often they will put you on hormones for the cyst part (helps shrink them). Alternately, they may discuss an ablation with you (love mine).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm a type 1 diabetic, and I also experience elevated BG readings for the week before and the first 1-2 days of my period. Most of the time, I can simply keep it under control by temporarily increasing the amount of insulin I receive through my pump. Once the curse is over, I have a fun-filled week of hypoglycemia. *rolleyes*

From what I have been reading, I think one of our girly hormones (I think estrogen) is more directly linked to insulin resistance. We tend to have more of that hormone right before the curse and less of the hormone right after the curse.

Unfortunately, I have 25-35 more years of dealing with this, so I'm no help with the pre-menopause stuff.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i had horrific periods when i started into pre-meno. i had a hysterectomy. it was awful to the point that i had to wear 2 pads and even then, couldn't stray far from home. there is no definitive blood test to say "yes, you are in menopause" but some bloodwork can help your dr understand what you are going through and perhaps help you make a decision on what to do (hormone treatment, surgery, tests to see if you have fibroids, etc.)

talk to your dr and good luck :smile:

oh and by the way, i was 42 when i had my hyster.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    From my experience, that is all normal. The cysts, the clots, the heavy bleeding. I don't have diabetes, but the GYN stuff is exactly what I experience.
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I had some of those symptoms although not diabetic . I lost weight and started exercising more and the pain really became much less although I still get clots and heavy bleeding.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The pain is coming from the cysts, anti-inflammatories help. Did your doctor tell you that you were premenopausal? 43 is kind of young. These are questions for your doctor to answer.

I agree with this.

OP - When was the last time you had your hormones checked? Have you been screened for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)? These symptoms also cross over to that. You should talk to your doctor.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I had some of those symptoms although not diabetic . I lost weight and started exercising more and the pain really became much less although I still get clots and heavy bleeding.

I would second this. Exercise will help with cramping. Also helps with the tension and moodiness. Without regular exercise I'm pretty sure I would have killed, or at least seriously maimed, someone during the worst of it.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I am 43 years old . have diabetes 2 . I get ovarian cysts , As time goes on my period gets so bad the point i'm changing my pad hourly. sorry for the tmi but now it's coming out in clots - not alot . is this normal when going into pre menopause? My mother is deceased and i gave noone to ask these weird questions too lol... Does pre menopause make your period more painfull? ive had to take pain killers for the past 2 days because of it. also my BG readings have been higher then usual . im thinking thats from my period though. I've taked to my mother in law some what but just what age she started with hers but she's not the time of person to go into detail.

I'm 46, and always had a very light period with hardly any cramping. Then the 40s came. I began to flow more heavily and felt cramps a little more intense than in the past. I went to the GYN after a couple of years of refusing to accept I'm getting closer to menopause... :laugh: Anyway, got tested for hormone level and had an ultrasound to check for Fibroids. I have fibroids but no sign of The Menopause yet. She suggested I go on Birth control, which I've never taken in my life.

I'm much happier now. Hardly any flow... spotting sometimes. No weight gain from the Hormones and the best part... MY PMDD is A LOT less intense, a whole lot.

I don't have Diabetes, though.

Good luck to you.

BTW, the pill is called Lo Loestrin Fe. The Dr. said it was the lowest estrogen level in a pill she has.

Good luck to you :flowerforyou: