Running after a break

Options
so a couple of months ago i completed the C25K program, i ran 3 times a week doing 5k every time

then i got married and had a honeymoon and now a month and a bit later i went for my first run last night, i didn't go great

i managed 10 minutes before needing a break, i walked for 1.5 minutes, then ran for 5, had another break then 5 minute run

after that i was done, so in total i did about 20 minutes running but not constant

so my question is, do you think i should go back to the c25k program, maybe starting at week 4 and build myself back up?

Replies

• Ashleigh_LP
    Ashleigh_LP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you can do 20 minutes (despite it not being constant), then I think you are way past C25k in terms of fitness levels/running ability. I think you should just keep doing it how you're doing it until you eventually get back to a solid 20 minutes.
  • TriLaura
    TriLaura Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yep, coming back after a break is tough. Only go back to C25K if you think you need it. Otherwise, ease your way back into the running, say run 5min walk 1min, and so on until you don't need to walk again. You might find it will only take a week or two before you're back to running the full 5k again. The less you stress about running the full 5k, the easier it will be, and the more you make it enjoyable, the quicker it will happen.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so next time you run for 12 minutes, then have a break then run for 6 then have a break... you'll soon get your fitness back.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    no need to do the program. just go out and run like you did today.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    so my question is, do you think i should go back to the c25k program, maybe starting at week 4 and build myself back up?

If you think you need the external structure, the use the last 4 weeks of C25K to get back up to 30 minutes. If you think you can manage without it, then do without it. There are no rules.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    ok awesome thanks for your answers

i think i'll carry on like i did last night and just run for as long as i can and try and build it up over the weeks

i've got my first 5k race booked for the 14th of December, i'm sure i'll be easily sorted by then