Hammys

Options
My quads have blown up but I want my hams to be just as shapely....... I've been SLDL, deadlifting with feet apart (dunno technical name), leg curls (75 lbs, 3x10), plies with a 40 lbs bar, squat 125 x 3 (trying to focus on all my weight on my heels)... need more tips or suggestions

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Time and keep doing what you're doing. I have decently shaped hammys, but I have been working on them for over a year. I do a lot of deadlifts, straight leg dead lifts, walking lunges, static lunges, lunges with either my back or front foot elevated, step ups, and glute bridges. Working out your legs will eventually lead to success.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pic or video showing how deep you are going on squats?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dead lift wide- is called sumo (same with a squat)

have you tried bridge lifts and ghetto hammy curls??

also- hammstring development will have a large part to do with body fat- I have solid hammys but you can't see them since I keep so much weight on my lower body.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options

also- hammstring development will have a large part to do with body fat- I have solid hammys but you can't see them since I keep so much weight on my lower body.

yes I was going to ask if it had a lot to do with losing more fat percentage..
  • allanakern
    Options

I go a bit lower than my profile pic
    Options
    In the pic you are doing a 3/4 highbar squat. You will get more hamstring activation if you get below parallel on a low bar squat. To do this, the bar needs to rest farther down your back, your legs need to be wider, and you need to go 3 to 4 inches deeper. You also look like you are breaking at the knees as opposed to the hips. You should be sitting back into the squat. Regardless if you make these changes you will not see actual physical changes to your physique in the short term. So be patient.

Also do you have a front shot and side profile shot showing your legs? Maybe you are not as imbalanced looking as you think.
  • allanakern
    Options
    In the pic you are doing a 3/4 highbar squat. You will get more hamstring activation if you get below parallel on a low bar squat. To do this, the bar needs to rest farther down your back, your legs need to be wider, and you need to go 3 to 4 inches deeper. You also look like you are breaking at the knees as opposed to the hips. You should be sitting back into the squat. Regardless if you make these changes you will not see actual physical changes to your physique in the short term. So be patient.

Also do you have a front shot and side profile shot showing your legs? Maybe you are not as imbalanced looking as you think.

I have a front of my quads if you view my pics, but no side uploaded at the moment
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options

What is a ghetto hammy curl? I am looking for some new lower body exercises.
  • allanakern
    Options

Yes I 2nd this?
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Yes I 2nd this?

Ok I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know what it was. lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Here's a few I do with clients to break up monotony:

Stability ball hamstring curls (harder than it sounds)

Dumbell hamstring curl: you may need help from someone putting the dumbell between your feet while lying prone on a flat bench.

Standing cable: best done while supporting foot is standing on a step.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

get out of the smith machine and squat with a barbell.
  • allanakern
    Options

I do. that pic just happens to be on the smith, taken last spring
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    My quads have blown up but I want my hams to be just as shapely....... I've been SLDL, deadlifting with feet apart (dunno technical name), leg curls (75 lbs, 3x10), plies with a 40 lbs bar, squat 125 x 3 (trying to focus on all my weight on my heels)... need more tips or suggestions

How bout lunges and leg press?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I do. that pic just happens to be on the smith, taken last spring

so- do you have an updated picture/video of what you are doing now? I mean since last spring I've chanced how I have lifted significantly. I video at least once a month to check form and depth and any niggling little things.
    or a natural ham string curl
    check strength unbound for a tutorial- Waldo does a great job explaining.

or- just google it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    and hip thrusts.....I would think they would hit the hamstrings
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,160 Member
    Options
    Include glutes ham raises. Squatting deep also helps.
    Options
    Have you ever tried this exercise for your ham strings? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi9Em1LFiTE

They are friggen hard.
  • allanakern
    Options
    I have also been doing cable kickbacks (I know that's mostly glutes but hits hamstrings a little too it seems) and I have been doing cross lunges with a 40 lbs bar. I do not have a video but its a good idea, I will have someone tape me
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Like everyone's said, wider stance - had a coach tell me this recently, I hadn't even realised my stance was narrow :/. I also like good mornings and glute ham raise. RDL seem to hit my hamstrings pretty well too.