What does it actually feel like?

Options
This is more of a question for people who have lost a significant amount of weight. I asked my slimmer friends the other day "What does it feel like to be slim?" They looked at me like i was mental and said "I don't know". Of course. They have always been slim and so they don't know anything different.

I know we can all imagine how it feels to be slim, but i would love to hear stories of elation at the smaller things in life, like your shirt not riding up when you walk, the cabinets not bouncing around as you walk across floor boards, or the near fatal creaking of a chair as you sit on it. I knew I had to loose weight when a stool i use to reach the higher cupboards cracked the other day and I sat and thought "How will it feel not having to think I'll break everything I put my weight on to." I'm pretty sure I heard my mattress cry the other day when I sat down on it.

SO. I would like some positive 'little victories' for motivation. A tick list if you will, of things I can say "Yep, that has/hasn't happened in a while, there must be some improvement happening here"

Replies

• BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many to list. I lost over 70 lbs. years ago and never looked back. I'd say:

- Self confidence when walking into a room
    - More confidence talking to women
    - Self confidence when public speaking
    - Knowing that I can do anything physically that I want to do
    - Doing a chin-up (I NEVER could do one growing up and now I can do them with extra weight added)
    - Clothes still don't fit, but this time it's because my thighs, torso and arms are too big, not my belly!
    - Wearing fitted shirts, not "big man" clothes
    - The knowledge that I know how to lose the weight and keep it off. This is something most fitness professional have never had to do, so many really do not know what it takes besides what the textbook says.

That's just a few off top of my head.
    Losing the weight truly changed my life so don't give up!
  • Turtlesallthewaydown
    Options
    Being able to glide through a room and not feel like I have a huge gut or feel anything bouncing around. I got as low as 135 and I remember walking was so much easier. I felt amazing when I didn't hear the scrape of my legs rubbing together or feel like every step in high heels would strike oil from the force of hitting the ground. Clothing sales people were suddenly a lot nicer too. As soon as I gained weight I disappeared again though.
  • LauraPa1mer
    LauraPa1mer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Being able to glide through a room and not feel like I have a huge gut or feel anything bouncing around. I got as low as 135 and I remember walking was so much easier. I felt amazing when I didn't hear the scrape of my legs rubbing together or feel like every step in high heels would strike oil from the force of hitting the ground. Clothing sales people were suddenly a lot nicer too. As soon as I gained weight I disappeared again though.

Awww gliding sounds amazing!
    Hold on to that thought and you will be gliding once again! :smile:
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    -160#
    Feels like a huge relief. Being anonymous is nice. No one judging me because I am no longer obese.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

- Self confidence when public speaking

Yea, I miss that bit. I was fairly confident speaking even up to a year ago, but now I even hate introducing myself.
    I may as well say "Hi, I'm the chubby girl you will forget as soon as you turn around". She is somewhere buried beneath the layers. :smile:
  • cottony
    cottony Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Going from BMI 31.7(obese) to 22.1(normal)

It feels just like you have imagined it would feel and even better.

-Going shopping and finally buying clothes that not only fit but also look good.
    -Not being the fat kid in the group.
    -Men are being gentlemen.
    -People are noticing that you actually exists(woups...am i holding too much grudges? :D)
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Being able to shop in stores and actually fitting into the clothes!

Walking by a window display and instead of thinking, "that will never fit me," I think, "wow, that might actually look good on me."

Confidence.

Strength. I know I can out lift most people I see on a daily basis.

Not thinking twice when asked to go out. (I used to hem and haw about going out, knowing that I didn't have anything to wear that looked good on me and I was ashamed of how much weight I had gained and didn't want to face friends)

Endurance. I can out row and out run my former self by miles and miles!

My love handles don't pop out anymore! I am no longer constantly tugging at my clothes.

The list goes on and on. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey but the feeling of having accomplished my goals is much sweeter.

YOU CAN DO IT.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    -Sitting down in a chair and having there be loads of space at my sides, no matter the chair.
    -Walking into a clothing store knowing that I will not have to get the largest size that they sell, not even close.
    -People ask you how you keep your figure all the time
    -Walking briskly to get to a meeting feels totally normal and not like I'm shuffling/waddling/worrying about my clothing bunching up.
    -People hold doors for you even if you're across a parking lot and insist that you don't need to scurry to get to the door.
  • KBP1025
    KBP1025 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seeing the comments about public speaking, and men being more of a gentleman made me think of something I heard many years ago and never forgot: "When a man speaks, people listen. When a woman speaks, people look, and if they like what they see, then they listen." I found this to be very true. Most of my life, I bounced from between 135-150. After I had my daughter, I sat around 170. I noticed people treated me differently. Then I ballooned up to 210. People treated me A LOT differently. Not I'm around 140, and people are again treating me differently - better differently. Sad. But true.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Things I like:
    - More than anything, just feeling strong - going for a hike or to Zumba or whatever and just OWNING it while feeling like I still have more energy to spare. This usually only happens the day after a rest day :D
    - That feeling when you smooth your shirt or skirt down over your stomach in a straight motion - priceless.
    - Not feeling weird about trying on wetsuits in front of other people - totally weird and good feeling.
    - Buying ice cream without feeling like people are judging me.

Things I don't like:
    - Being flirted with at work. Blech. I guess it's flattering, but it makes me really uncomfortable and makes me wonder whether people are helping me because they respect the work I do or because I'm not unattractive for my age.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    -Being able to walk on an airplane without putting my gut or butt in someone's face.
    -Being able to run without having to constantly pull my shorts down from riding up.
    -Being able to shop in non-plus size sections.
    -Not having to wear guy's clothes because women's clothes don't fit right.
    -Not worrying about wearing sleeveless tops! (I actually love my arms now.)
    -Not worrying about telling someone what size I wear when they want to get me a gift/souvenir/etc..
    -Being able to play with my niece on the park jungle gym.
    -Going to the neighborhood pool without a t-shirt on.
    -Being able to squeeze out of my truck when the parking spaces are too close. (I actually had this happen the other day. The lady driving the parking shuttle actually said to me, "It's a good thing your a smaller-sized lady otherwise you would have been stuck in your truck.")
    -Knowing my husband's back isn't going to break if he picks me up (I still tell him not to because I think I'm bigger than I truly am).
    -Knowing if something happened to me (unconscious in a fire, in an accident, severly injured in a race) people would be able to move me without much issue. (My husband is a fire fighter. They often get called to assist in moving people who weigh too much for two ambulance techs to move on their own.)

I could keep going, but that's a pretty good idea of the things that I've noticed in the 8+ years since I was obese.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    Seeing the comments about public speaking, and men being more of a gentleman made me think of something I heard many years ago and never forgot: "When a man speaks, people listen. When a woman speaks, people look, and if they like what they see, then they listen." I found this to be very true. Most of my life, I bounced from between 135-150. After I had my daughter, I sat around 170. I noticed people treated me differently. Then I ballooned up to 210. People treated me A LOT differently. Not I'm around 140, and people are again treating me differently - better differently. Sad. But true.

As much as I don't want that to be true, it sadly is. Particularly men holding the door open. Maybe they think we won't fit ? :laugh:
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ones in here, but the one I noticed most:

I'm always cold...
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    -Being able to walk on an airplane without putting my gut or butt in someone's face.
    -Being able to run without having to constantly pull my shorts down from riding up.
    -Being able to shop in non-plus size sections.
    -Not having to wear guy's clothes because women's clothes don't fit right.
    -Not worrying about wearing sleeveless tops! (I actually love my arms now.)
    -Not worrying about telling someone what size I wear when they want to get me a gift/souvenir/etc..
    -Being able to play with my niece on the park jungle gym.
    -Going to the neighborhood pool without a t-shirt on.
    -Being able to squeeze out of my truck when the parking spaces are too close. (I actually had this happen the other day. The lady driving the parking shuttle actually said to me, "It's a good thing your a smaller-sized lady otherwise you would have been stuck in your truck.")
    -Knowing my husband's back isn't going to break if he picks me up (I still tell him not to because I think I'm bigger than I truly am).
    -Knowing if something happened to me (unconscious in a fire, in an accident, severly injured in a race) people would be able to move me without much issue. (My husband is a fire fighter. They often get called to assist in moving people who weigh too much for two ambulance techs to move on their own.)

I could keep going, but that's a pretty good idea of the things that I've noticed in the 8+ years since I was obese.

ALL! I want all of these! Ah, there are some i hadn't thought of, like squeezing out of my car. I actually squeeze my hand between my door and the next car because I don't want to damage the car!
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    everything is just easier. I wake up in the morning and get out of bed without having to massage my back pain. I can bend down to pick things up - i can tie my shoelaces without a second thought. I can carry my food shopping up the 2 flights of stairs to my house and not be out of breath. Couple all that with the confidence and the fact I can shop in any store and get clothes to fit is awesome.

I could never go back to how I was now I have been here
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Everything these folks have mentioned are so true... I am not quite there yet but have noticed many differences in life... I love NOT shopping in the plus size department. It feels like that's all I've ever known and still gravitate there without thinking sometimes. I am stronger. Just stronger and more able to move quicker, more energy.
    Not so fun part is that is seems like I get colder easier... my fingertips turn white when they get cold. Otherwise, I don't mind putting the sweatshirt or sweater on - it's totally worth it! Good luck!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I keep touching my thighs, amazed at how much is missing. When I look in the mirror, I see an imaginary outline of everything that used to be there.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    A year and almost 100lbs later:

-being able to buy clothes based on "do I like this?" rather than "does this fit?"
    -feeling a weird lump on my body, only to realize that it's bone/muscle that has spent years under a layer of fat
    -being able to climb a set of stairs without being winded
    -my significant other being able to wrap her arms all the way around me
    -being able to shower without having to move flabby parts of me out of the way to wash (might be TMI, but hey, still true)
    -not having to swing the car door all the way open
    -getting to look through Hallowe'en costumes without any reluctance or hesitation as to how they might look on me
    -the reaction I get from people I haven't seen in over a year
    -not craving junk/fast food 24/7
  • rainbowmeaux
    Options
    I have never been as small as I am now (at least since Jr high :wink: ) and am experiencing all sorts of surprising & new things.

*Boom - Chicka - Wow - Wow
    *When my hubby hugs me we are closer
    *My hubby can pick me up!
    *Outpacing my husband on walks
    *I can fit in my hubby's shirts (he's a slender/lanky dude)
    *Fit in an airplane / helicopter seat and fasten the seat belt comfortably*Shop in Non-Plus size section
    *I will be zip-lining, horseback riding & go cart driving in a few days...things I never dreamed I would be able to do/fit into

In summary, I have never felt so alive, happy & proud.

The above outweigh any negative crap anyone has given me.