The days of "5lbs lost in 2 days" are over and I'm glad?

Options
I recently (in January) went from my maintenance weight of 150lbs to 200lbs in just about 6 months. It was a huge shock for a few reasons.

First, the highest weight I've been was 185lbs and that was 10 years ago. I also had 165lbs as my "high" weight on and off since. So, when I saw 160lbs - I knew it was a problem. Then, 170. I assumed I was still at that mark, until a few months later, I saw 200lbs.

This is when I knew I needed to get back on MFP, set a rational goal and be kind to myself, so I can continue at a good pace.

Despite that, I had in the back on my mind, "No problem - you *always* lose 5lbs of water weight your first few days, you should lose at least 10lbs in a week due to how fast you put on this weight - should just melt off."

So, with two full weeks in, keeping my calories under 1500 a day and doing a little walking - I thought, "Let's see 190lbs!" as I stepped on the scale today,

Well, I'm at 196.

I think I had been building up my tolerance for this, though, as I quickly turned my thinking around and thought "I can lose it at a slow pace, so I can get used to it and keep it off."

So, that is where I am. I also went ahead and bought nice clothes at my current size (which I'd never do in the past) and be happy to donate them when I do shed enough to get to the next size.

Slow and steady.

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    High five!! I'm at the same place. I lost my first 20ish pounds rather quickly and now it's slowwwwwly falling off. But I'm ok with that.
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    With that attitude you will do it!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You can do it!

For what its worth, I never lost those first few fast pounds everybody talks about. Even at an obese weight where it might be common to drop pounds fast in the beginning, I have been steady in my loss every week for nearly 20 weeks now, including those first few. And its the most successful I've ever been!
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, folks! Great to hear. Especially your story, brightside - super inspiring & appreciated!
  • kahays
    kahays Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You have such a great attitude about this! I'd like to send you a friend request so some of that positivity will rub off on me :)
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sure thing, kahays! You seem cool and I like that we have a similar amount of weight to lose, too. Happy to support!
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm still working my way up to feeling okay with that lol.

I lost my first 20lbs rather quickly but the last 5 have come at just a little over 1lb a week. As long as I'm losing I'm happy though.
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Buying nice clothes at your current size is what jumped out at me the most. That is something I've never, ever been able to do. I keep wearing the same old clothes, even when they start gathering stains.... I just pick those shirts for days when I don't have to see people much, or I hide them under a hoodie. I still have clothes that I bought in high school, which is almost half my life ago now.

I know that it's an important thing to do, but I just can't take that step. It's great that you did, and I hope those clothes make you feel awesome.