discouraged :(

Options
:sad: Feeling so discouraged...got on the scale today and gained two pounds even though I've been watching what I eat and going to the gym nearly everyday before work....ugh!

Replies

• kse5
    kse5 Posts: 6
    Options
    I would appreciate anyone that wants to be MFP friends to encourage and support... just a little bummed right now...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Fluctuations occur constantly due to water weight (sodium increase, beginning a new exercise routine, TOM, stress, the list goes on...). If you're accurately weighing and measuring what you eat, it will go away before you know it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight from working out - is that a new things for you or have you upped your intensity/frequency this week? Could be hormones (ovulation, PMS, TOM)? How was your sodium intake?

Did you eat all your earned calories back? If so, try eating back only a portion (half to 2/3rds) instead as some of the MFP exercise database listings overestimate.

If you're truly eating within your calorie limits, there is no way you gained actual fat.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Would it help you to know that these little gains and fluctuations are really, really common? Seriously, a two-pound gain could be extra water if you've been working out harder than usual. It could be water from hormonal fluctuations. It could be from a high-sodium meal. There are just too many things that cause our weight to jump around. Weight loss will never be linear, so you have to learn to make peace with the scale.
  • A_LeClair
    A_LeClair Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies who have posted. I have had similar issues. I watch my food intake (not as carefully as I should) and I run 20+ miles a week. I have been upset by a 2 lbs gain in a week as well. Our bodies fluctuate, so take a breath and a step back from the scale. Your weight will even out again.

No matter what, don't give up!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    Do you have sore muscles? I say this because sore muscles retain water. Mine are sore as heck right now. You build muscle by basically tearing the muscles and the body rebuilds them and this causes an inflammation response which retains water. That causes a gain on the scale. Also, you could be gaining muscle. Weight loss isn't instantaneous magic. The body is slow about it a lot of the time and sometimes decides to herp-derp around before it settles. Take your measurements, these tell the true story when the scale is screwing around.

Just make sure you are eating at a calorie deficit. Weight loss battles are won and lost in the kitchen. So make sure you accurately weight/measure every thing and accurately track. Consistency + time = success.

I know it is hard to be patient, because you want that fat off you yesterday!!! But give it time. If you are making good choices, it's going to come off. The body rarely cooperates with us on timetable. It has a different sense of urgency than we do.
  • jesshale
    jesshale Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I got on here to post about the exact same thing. I have been well under my calories every day except for one and exercising my rear off. The only problem is its not actually coming off. It's so frustrating, and I can completely relate. I'm sorry it's been such a frustrating week for you.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    2 lbs is not a lot honestly.....especially if you have been losing weight.

Give it time, stay on your program...

And just do weekly weigh-ins.
  • stefanie_lou
    stefanie_lou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It may just be water weight gain! Don't be discouraged! My weight fluctuates constantly throughout the week.