Going grocery shopping today - help!

Options
Hello All!

I just started MFP last Thursday. I still have some boxed/processed items in my cupboards at home such as protein bars/rice cake/Fiber 1 bars/microwavable mac n cheese, etc. but they are almost gone now and I need to go grocery shopping after work tonight.

I want to wean myself off the processed food. One of my fitness goals is to eat clean and avoid processed/boxed food as much as possible.

My problem is that I have a desk job and I get really hungry for some reason so I've noticed I tend to snack a lot then I am hungry an hour later for another snack!

My question to you all is: What foods should I put on my grocery list? I plan to buy enough food for the whole week. Then I will reassess next Friday and make a new list for the following week, etc. I already plan on buying lots of Green Giant Steamers veggies (without sauces), chicken breasts and shrimp. What else should I get to fill my fridge and cupboards? Thanks in advance for your ideas and support! :drinker:

Replies

• linauranm
    linauranm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    grapes, almonds (raw), and carrot sticks make a satisfying desk snack. Just be sure and watch your portions. I'm at my desk all day as well. I also like a hard boiled egg, simple and the protein sticks with me.
  • jojokmack
    jojokmack Posts: 117
    Options
    Hello hun,......it obviously depends on what you like and dislike but here are a few fail safe things I use....

Ground/mince turkey for bolognaise, chilli, shepherds pie, burgers etc.
    Lean chicken (raw) for curry, stew
    Vegetables for the above (and also to cut in to crudities for nibbling with a low fat dip)
    Fruit for nibbles
    Almonds for nibbles
    Stir-fry for a quick meal
    potatoes to roast in jackets or for mash (with just milk)
    canned tuna (for salads & potatoes)
    crab/seafood sticks for nibbles
    Rice & pasta for the curry, bolognaise etc.
    tinned veg (inc. tomatoes)
    Low fat (50% reduced) cheese for meals, salads and sometimes nibbles
    yoghurts (self explanatory) inc. plain for my curry
    soy sauce for cooking & dressings
    spices for all the above

ask me any questions you like :D
  • jojokmack
    Options
    grapes, almonds (raw), and carrot sticks make a satisfying desk snack. Just be sure and watch your portions. I'm at my desk all day as well. I also like a hard boiled egg, simple and the protein sticks with me.

YES, Eggs are my SAVIOUR! I have them scrambled every morning on wholemeal toast and also they are great for snacks & salads :D
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    YES! Thank you!! Adding hard boiled eggs, almonds, fresh veggies/fruit & crab to my list....
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    my biggest helpful tip is put items in single serving portions the minute you get home from the store. I literally count out 14 almonds (they are 7 calories per almond), one cup portions of baby carrots and/or cherry tomatoes, one cup of grapes (although grapes have a LOT of sugar), one cup of sliced peppers or baby cucumbers or zucchini--whatever it is that week--cut stuff up and bag it into single servings. saves so much time and then you really have no excuse for not choosing something healthy and only eating a reasonable portion. find a 100 calorie yogurt that you like-I love the Siggi brand of greek yogurt. it's a little pricey but so yummy it feels like dessert. find a hummus that is low cal for the 2 tablespoons--most hummus is about 60 calories for 2 tablespoons, but read the label. SkinnyPop brand popcorn and watermelon are my two most favorite things--lots of volume, not much calories.
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Also getting into cleaner food and have a desk job. Understand! Something I'm weaning myself off of is Amy's meals. They're 'healthier' but still not great for you!

A co-worker started bringing in some pre-cooked rice & protein dishes for lunch, and I'm piggybacking. Tillapia is a great & cheap protein source and super easy to bake.

I also am making sure I have a banana w/breakfast and an apple for a snack. Fruits are awesome for your health & appetite!

Best of luck to you!
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and it might help to know that as you eat less, your body will adapt. I used to eat all day, too, and it's getting easier every day not to snack.

Also, I work right next to the company candy jar...it was very easy to snack.
  • icanplay3
    Options
    Thank you all so much! All great ideas.
  • jojokmack
    Options
    Ooooooh! I also have wafer thin smoked turkey slices to snack on too :D
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Those small cans of flavored tuna from clover leaf are amazing.... Low cal and tons of protein.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. My starting point is always the sales circular. Steam in bag veggies are on sale this week - got to stock up. Broccoli rabe is also on sale for 99 cents a pound. I will definitely be making that with chicken and garlic.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I second portioning everything out, it really helps. We do groceries on Fridays, so usually at some point Saturday I do an orgy of chopping and bagging - portion out my snacks for the week, do all the meal prep for the week, everything all at once. So I'd buy all the fresh veggies and make them into our own steamer mixes. And, it means you only have to chop onions once a week instead of multiple times. Even treats like chips or pretzels or candy, I portion out. And if you've got a bunch of different stuff, just write the calorie count on the bag so you know what you're grabbing.

I'm also at a desk most of the day, but luckily we have a kitchen. I keep my snacks there so I'm not mindlessly eating. And I bought a set of measuring cups and spoons and leave them at work so I have no excuse for not portion controlling things.

What I do is try and have one snack that I can just mindlessly eat. Like carrot chips. I measure out two cups of them, which is like 100 cal, and then I can sit and work and zone out like I'm snacking on a bag of chips for hours.

In addition to fresh fruit and veg, dried fruit can be really good, as long as it's not full of artificial preservatives so check the label. Tastes like candy!

You can also make your own granola bars if you're so inclined, very tasty, no hidden bad stuff, and totally customised to your tastes.

And and if your office (like mine) is one of those ones that has free food like every single day, make a list of the average cal counts for stuff - like a glazed donut or a handful of timbits or a slice of cake - and just have it somewhere discreet at your desk. Then when someone offers, you can quickly check if it fits into your day or not. And saying this reminds me that I have a work meeting in an hour that is usually heavy on the food so I'm going to go check my diary and see how much I can snack (I'm guessing very little since we're eating out for dinner).
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Quinoa for a carb
    beans (any kind are good for you, but I like black bean)
    canned sweet corn
    lemon juice - lots (you can just eyeball it though)
    red onion
    celery (possible addition, but haven't tried it yet)

Above is a basic fixings for an awesome salad! :) You can make in a huge quantity and eat it as a lunch or snack throughout the week. I don't even need to add salt because the canned beans already have salt added (so you gotta watch for that or drain it really well).

I also put in granny smith apples and fake crab meat (I don't know how "clean" fake crab is though). You can play around with what is added. I even added peaches instead of apples, but it wasn't as good.
  • icanplay3
    Options
    I will definitely be checking the sales flyers to see what's on sale. I will buy the fruits/vegs on sale for sure. I am a bargain shopper!! :glasses:

I am also getting a second set of measuring cups/spoons to keep in my desk - genius idea dbeaut!

Got my menu and grocery list made already (did that on my break today)!

I am ready to go shopping! Thanks again guys! And gals! :bigsmile:
  • icanplay3
    Options
    I second portioning everything out, it really helps. We do groceries on Fridays, so usually at some point Saturday I do an orgy of chopping and bagging

Hahahahahaha sounds like fun!! Seriously. I am going to do this "orgy" tomorrow too. :bigsmile:
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well, you always know you're catching on to a new life style change when you're spending more time in the fresh vegetable/fruit/produce isle of the super market--than any other isle.

For work/afternoon snacking you want something that is going to satisfy you so you don't start raiding what other workers have brought in, which is usually fairly high in sugar which is going to make you hungry. For me it's a tablespoon of All Natural Skippy Peanut butter with honey. Sometimes if I am real hungry I'll do two tablespoons, and in this way it keeps me fairly full, and even at dinner I eat less because lets' face it, peanut butter sticks ha.ha. It's known as the "fit girls" ice cream out of the pint.

Stick with it, you'll get there.