PETS. I need one, I work a lot.

Options

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My friend adopted a basset, and he's a love, but when she was living alone and he was locked up in the apt all day he showed a lot of bad personality traits, including aggression. If you really "love" dogs, then you wouldn't want to make one unhappy.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to try a more practical pet first... like a fish or a snake. Something you don't have to actually play with or pay attention to because it sounds like you wouldn't have time for that anyway. A dog needs companionship. Period. To deny them of that is just cruel.

This. Don't get the dog just because you think it's cute. It's not an accessory. Sounds like you'd do better with a fish. :flowerforyou:
  • Mikkimeowza
    Options
    Have you ever had a Basset? They REEK. My ex's parents had 2. Their house always smelled.

I own a basset, and I concur with this statement. My dog gets a twice monthly bath and still manages to emit a strange stench. Must be the ears.

Bassets are deceptively high maintenance. They are not characteristically low energy couch potatoes. I would suggest going to your local no kill shelter and discussing the type of dog you are looking for. Mention that you work long hours and aren't home as often as you'd like.

You would do best with a low energy, mature older dog. A senior dog might do well in this situation. One that is okay with being on its own. Most kennel attendants will know exactly what type of dog fits that description.

And for my two cents, I think you would be better off going with a cat, or even if you like other pets, a tortoise. Both are lower maintenance and okay to be left alone for a bit longer periods of time. Like any big responsibility, the animal that you choose to get shouldn't be an impulse buy or go off looks. Find one that you know will match your lifestyle.
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For the record: I will NEVER be guilty of animal neglect. That's where the Mon-Fri doggy daycare comes in, but I have friends whose pets are happy and healthy with dog walkers, so I was considering 2 days daycare, 3 days dog walkers, and then I'm home on the weekends. Or me and my puppy are hanging out.

Just want to make sure that's clear.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ever thought about a goldfish, a turtle, a cat....a rock?

Seriously, bassets are very sweet but also needy and definitely NOT an appropriate apartment dog.
    It really seems like you don't have the resources to dedicate to a pet. Do yourself and the animal a favor and don't get one.
    If you have to get a "puppy fix" find a local animal shelter and do a little volunteer work and cuddle them there. They would love the help and the animals love the interaction with two leggers.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You guys are so much more candid with feedback than facebook! Haha.

Of course I'd have to get to know the dog's mannerisms and stuff before I call dibs, but she's sooooooo cuuuute.

I'm not a cat person, it has to be a dog, but who knows when this can become my reality. The opportunity just came up today! I super appreciate the honest feedback!

I worked in an animal shelter for a very long time. I am going to be super frank with you --

If this dog was where I worked, I would not let you adopt this dog. You clearly do not understand the commitment involved and are easily swayed by irrelevant factors to the dog's care -- such as cuteness. You aren't going into this with the mindset of "I can give this animal a good life" you are going into it with your own needs as your priority.

You do not have the lifestyle to support this animal having a good life -- bassets are notorious for needing A LOT of attention. A LOT of outdoor time. They do not make good apartment dogs because they have a tendency to howl/whine. It's highly likely you would need a sitter, and investment you confidently say you can make.

As somebody who did animal intakes (the person who takes your dog at the shelter when you decide you can no longer keep it) at a open door (meaning a shelter than takes ANY animal, but does euthanize). Please believe me when I tell you that your post sounds like a text book case of somebody adopting an animal that they weren't in a position to care for responsibly.

Please, just don't.
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have to defend myself as an animal-lover right now, which isn't something that I have ever had to do, but of course I have reasons beyond it being soooooo cuuuuuuuute to wanting a dog.
  • FoogooFish
    FoogooFish Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    OP, please do not bring an animal into your current living/traveling situation. Doing so would be cruel, for reasons already mentioned. I doubt the dog would remain "cute" if left alone for hours upon hours week after week.

Ultimately, the dog needs more than you can feasibly provide at this time. Do the right thing by -her- and give her the opportunity to be adopted by someone who can fulfill her needs.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad student & have a cat, but I have some classmates with dogs & I really admire them for being able to juggle a dog and long, unpredictable days. I personally like cats because they're capable of taking care of themselves for the most part & can handle being left alone for entire weekends if necessary (although that's obviously not ideal).

I'd also like to say that people seem to think cats aren't lovey and cuddly, but seriously only people who have never HAD a cat would say that. Cats can make great companions, if you raise them to be great companions.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have to defend myself as an animal-lover right now, which isn't something that I have ever had to do, but of course I have reasons beyond it being soooooo cuuuuuuuute to wanting a dog.

Nobody questions that you love animals. But you have said they you NEED a dog that you likely can't care for properly give how you work, the breed in question, and your financial resources.

So there's that.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm a sort-of single dog mom. (The dog is my husband's but he's a trucker and is on the road a lot.) I'm away from home at my job about the same hours per day as you. Let me tell you, it's a major pain in the butt and I've already told him that when this dog passes on, we're not getting another one until he gets a job in which he's home regularly. The dog is home all day with my three cats and they get along fine so she's not lonely, but she definitely prefers my company, so when I'm home I hardly get a moment's peace from her. She also really limits my schedule. I used to go out after work a lot, but can't now because I have to go home to feed her and let her out. The dog alone is more work than all 3 cats combined. So not only do you have to think about the time you're away from home due to your job, you have to consider the impact on your social life as well. If you're a homebody who prefers to stay around the house when you're not at work or running errands, then it might be fine, because you'll be home enough at night and on weekends to play with it. But if you like to go out a lot or take weekend trips with friends, it will be a problem for the dog. And dogs that are lonely, bored, depressed, etc. almost always become very destructive. I also had family dogs growing up when lots of people were around to interact with them, and having a dog by myself is a lot more work. I think it really hinges on how much of your free time you're willing to give up to spend with the dog.
  • strawberrypopsicles
    Options
    Maybe there's a local kid in your neighborhood who loves dogs and would be willing to walk and play with yours after school? More affordable than a doggie daycare and your dog would get more personal attention too. Just as you want a dog but don't really have the time for it, there's probably some family that wants a dog but can't afford/commit to it. See if you can work something out with the people in your community
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I just couldn't do in good conscience, unless someone could walk the dog for me at least once a day.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love pets of all kinds and desperately wanted to get a dog when my boyfriend left for boot camp earlier this year but we live in an apartment without a yard, and I have a horrible job where I work 50 hours a week.

I made the decision to find an older cat who needed love like I did (but wouldn't mind having some alone time) and got an ac unit with a timer for the broiling hot weeks. He's now my bestest little friend.

I totally understand your need for a loving companion but I have a feeling you're going to regret it if you get a dog that needs more attention than you are able to give.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence. I may have an opportunity to adopt a basset hound, and I need some advice ...

(This sweet girl, if the link will work: https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10628206_768200746579328_1779025989004132522_n.jpg?oh=01d98dc9957b0563747da91a71f99a58&oe=54C714E3)

Because I work full-time and currently have a nasty Atlanta commute, I'm gone from around 8a-6p Mon-Fri. I've had dogs my whole life, but growing up in a family of six, and splitting duties with my then-boyfriend, dog ownership was different from being a single dogmom. I also live in an apartment in the city. However, I LOVE dogs and I know I'd love her super hard while I'm home. Financially, I'm nervous about committing and potentially needing something like doggy daycare, plus a dog walker would be a good idea.

So, help me out. Who has a dog in a similar situation?

Your current lifestyle in no way accommodates taking care of a dog, so you want to adopt one anyway because it would make you feel better?

c40.jpg
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

You don't have to defend yourself. I think the points people have made in this thread are accurate. Dogs miss us A LOT when we are gone. While doggy day care and dog walkers are great, dogs miss THEIR human. I think the point most people are trying to make is that maybe you should revisit getting a dog when you have more of your own time to give that dog.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I love bassets too and was going to rescue one a while back. They were making me jump thru hoops to get her so I gave up the idea and got a cockapoo. Being a smaller breed they dont need the exercise of a larger dog. She doesnt shed and is non alergenic.
    Maybe if you got a smaller dog you wouldn't need the walker and wouldnt be so costly.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

[img]http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m559/cmarcuz/Mobile Uploads/251549_10151020552036244_1091946774_n.jpg[/img]
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    As someone who is in a similar situation to you, I can understand the hesitation, and I can understand other people's hesitation that you might be a good owner.

First, I'd caution you on the kind of dog you get. The basset hound might be cute, but others have said that they're not great apartment dogs. I don't have experience with them, but that might be true. My dog (also an apartment dog), is a mix of a golden retriever, sheltie, and pomeranian. We rescued him. He's pretty high energy, but we also spend a lot of our evening and weekend time playing with him, and he isn't kenneled when we're gone during the day. That's something to consider too: Your social life will revolve around the needs of your dog. If you can't accept that or find a way around it, it's probably better to not have one.

Second, keep in mind apartment issues when getting a dog. You don't want one that has anxiety issues or tears things apart or barks too much. Unlike with the wiggle room a house has for a noisy dog, if your dog is too loud in an apartment it can get you and/or the dog kicked out.

As for the long time you'll be gone, getting a dog walker would help with that, even if you don't get doggy daycare. Many dogs can hold it for a lot time if they have to, but that's a long time to not go to the bathroom. However, something to note is that you can train a smaller dog to go in a litter box or use a patch of indoor grass. I've never done it, but I've heard of it.

Honestly, I probably shouldn't have gotten a dog when I did, but I am very glad that I did. He is loved and he is well cared for, and that's more than he had in his previous home. On the reverse end, I get a lot of love and affection from him and I can't imagine not having a dog today.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I hate to be harsh.. but being at home alone with maybe a walk or 2 every few hours is no way a dog should live... you may be home on weekends now to play but maybe down the road you will have a bit of a social life and the dog will be locked up yet again... i work from home and still feel guilty if i leave for like 4 hours .. wait until you move into a home or closer to work or some other change. doesn't mean you wont ever have a dog, but maybe just not right now
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of kids...I'm sure they are happy with the nanny, pre-school teachers and play dates. I just wanted kids cuz they're sooooo damnnnnn cuuuuuttttteeeeeeeee.