Glutes: only 1-2 days per week? Does that sound right?

Options
I am doing a Butt challenge for the month of October, I was doing some research and stumbled across an article on a site my husband swears by. I would like your opinions on this:

"More training isn't always better. Targeting your glutes more than twice per week can actually slow down the butt-building process. Your glutes need ample time to rest, recover, and grow."
"Skip the skimpy weights to build a booty. Your butt gets bigger as it gets stronger, so use heavy weights that limit you to 5-12 reps per set."

This is quoted from the site bodybuidling.com

After day one of the challenge I noticed I was really sore, not the normal sore.... Used day two to rest. Day 3 during a normal workout and set of 3d lunges, I felt a painful pulling in my quad. I tried it a few times to see if the sensation would go away, it didn't. I injured myself the first day. SMH... figures... I am using today as an other rest day for the challenge. I don't want to further hurt myself. Because of this experience I have a feeling that this holds some truth to it. Then again I don't know all too much on this subject.
TIA for your helpful comments and support.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You are finding out the hard way that an arbitrary challenge can often do more harm than good.
    And when it comes to strength training regardless of muscle or muscle group, more is not better. My suggestion, forget about the challenge, rest & heal up and then start a more realistic training schedule.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    For the goal of getting a better butt, that is correct you should allow at least one full day between each glute workout if it is a full workout. if it is one of those challenges with only about 30 reps per day you are completely fine working them every day.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Rybo and Chris thank you for your input. I did learn the hard way.
    Thank you guys!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Bretcontreras.com has good glute info, if you haven't looked already.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Your glutes, like any muscle, build while healing. If you are tearing them down constantly they will have no chance to heal, and subsequently, grow. Not to mention they'll be too fatigued to progressively lift heavier, which is necessary to stimulate muscle growth.