How to begin going to a gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

Overall my current goal is to lose weight, I've been doing that so far with a calorie deficiency and so far it's been working ok.

So my next target is to build up my fitness. I have a stationary bike, (but it's currently in transport and won't be here for 4 weeks yet), but I was using that for 8 weeks. During that time, I went from 3 minutes before I thought I would die, to making it harder and cycling for 30 minutes non stop.

My overall goal is to go hiking on the Scottish mountains, so I need to build up my cardio for sure to be able to climb for 4 to 8 hours at a time.

Weights I know for sure I will need a trainer. The classes at the gym I'm going to are mainly cardio, but they do offer personal trainers. Maybe that is the right way to go about it.

I guess going to the gym and just using a single machine for 30 minutes isn't the best thing to do either.

I think you've got a great goal, and you will need a combination of strength training, cardio, and good nutrition to get to that goal in the healthiest way. Yes, look into hiring a (good) trainer to help you with weights. Do your cardio solo, or in classes. And use MFP for your nutrition...Boom, perfect storm!! Best wishes!!
  • Kelli850
    Kelli850 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Does the gym offer classes? It might be a good way to try different things and see what you like. Spinning, water aerobics, TRX, etc.

I joined a gym a couple of months ago and absolutely love the group fitness classes. I get both cardio and strength training from the classes that are offered. For me it was a great way to meet other people after my move to Florida.

Good luck!!
  • Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar predicament last year when my office gave me a membership. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Go to 1-3 classes per week.

2. Most gyms offer a free personal training session - use it and ask the trainer questions (keeping in mind that they might try to sell you stuff - get as much info as you can)

3. If you've never used weights before, find a friend to get you started or pay for 1-3 sessions so you can do a simple program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength with the correct form

4. Find a buddy!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Walk in the door and say "Hello" back to the person who greets you at the desk. Then say you want to sign up and work pays for it.

They'll take you through all the steps of signing up and hook you up with someone who explains everything. Depending on how good the gym is, the instructions will be either very quick / not very helpful or really in depth and very helpful. Maybe somewhere in between. Whether they do, it'll be enough to get you started. :)

Try everything. You never know what you'll like! The only thing I wouldn't do is yoga. Even at 250 pounds, I couldn't do any of it without tipping over. Try that at home first, lol. You also want to know which things you like Second Best so that if you get sick of your first love, you have a backup. I'm a big believer in shaking things up and think varied routines are best, but you need to do what works for you!

I wouldn't hire a trainer. You can get all kinds of advice online for free. But if you think having the appointment will encourage you to go when you otherwise wouldn't, go for it.

I love your panda!

Good luck and have fun!