Help! 1st Trail race EVER!

Options
29071034.jpg

Hello fellow runners! I have my first ever tail run coming up! First I thought I'd go for a half marathon but then soon realized this being my first run on a trail I should go for a shorter distance. I have hiked here before, it's a big park. Beautiful too! I'm very excited this is a bucket list race for sure. I'm worried about elevation climbs! eeek!!

My question is just advice. Tell me what you know and have experienced, I'm sure it's not rocket science but love hearing other runners share what they think.

I am going to start running on trails that are close to my area, but should I buy trail shoes? I have sucha hard time finding the right running shoes for me as is that I am worried that trail shoes will be a pain to find that work for me. I've been running in the nike triax to help with my really bad overpronation.

Here is the course:
sf_7_mile_trail_run_course_map_updated.jpg

Here is the elevation:
24vprfc.jpg

THANK FOR READING

BarrCreekFalls.jpg

Replies

• Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Nobody's ??
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Looks like it could be a fairly technical course so you might do better with trail shoes... I run trails quite a bit and and my races are almost exclusively on trails. I have three different trail shoes, but since I only run in minimalist shoes, I don't have any any experience in traditional trail shoes. But that being said, if you are going to do ten miles or less on your inaugural trail race, you will probably manage in the shoes you have.... if it doesn't rain... if it gets wet and/or muddy you could have problems getting traction...
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Just googled your race....looks totally awesome! Trail running through waterfalls....so envious! You are going to have a blast.... but I think you are going to need trail shoes...
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Not sure how technical the course is but elevation profile is not too bad except for the climb at the end.

Safety is your no.1 priority for trails especially if it is a very technical and rocky trail on hills. If you intend to continue trail running, then I would say that trail shoes is a must. Since it's only 7 miles, why don't you do a training run on the course with the shoes you are wearing now to see how you feel?

I have overpronated feet too (if I can use the word that way!). I actually use men's trail shoes Sarcony Xodus. I love those shoes but you do need to get yours fitted properly.
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much for your input!!! I think I might get a pair of trail shoes mostly because this trail I'm sure will be muddy slippery and I will need the proper gear. I'm super stoked!! This is going to be a beautiful run for sure:)) we gave so many amazing trials in the PNW that I really need to take advantaged of them more!! I'm just nervous because my girlfriend was running in a trail and fell and split he knee open...I feel like I can't enjoy the views because I'm looking down THE whole time for rocks!! Or other things I could slip or trip on!! But this was a bucket list race so I'm going to give it my best! Thanks again really helpful!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I do trail 5K's. Let me just say I am not a runner but I usually do fairly well in 5K's with an elevation gain because I treat it as intervals. My last race In my last race, I placed 2nd in my age group and in about the top 20% of females overall. I am NOT a competitive runner, but I sprint in Crossfit and hike a lot.

I recently got Saucony Xodus 4.0 and I love them! The soles make everything seem so much less jarring! Yes to trail shoes! I lost a toe nail in a race once.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I did support a girlfriend who did the Leadville 50 and my husband is an avid trail runner. Shoes on trails need good tread, and they do have trail shoes that I would get. On the Leadville 50 I saw a lot of runners wearing the Hoka's, more likely to reduce foot pain, versus tread stability.

If you're only doing 7 mikes a good trail shoe would be fine for that. Everyone I know that does them really enjoys them. It's a good idea to train for the elevation gains, especially on longer distances. At the check stations on the 50 a lot if bananas were available to be eaten by runners, along with energy gook.

The major difference between running in typical marathons where there are wide spaces to run on, is on trails, you never take your eyes off of the trail and where the foot is going to land.

It's tough, but it's a great accomplishment when you cross that finish line. Have Fun!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I did support a girlfriend who did the Leadville 50 and my husband is an avid trail runner. Shoes on trails need good tread, and they do have trail shoes that I would get. On the Leadville 50 I saw a lot of runners wearing the Hoka's, more likely to reduce foot pain, versus tread stability.

If you're only doing 7 miles a good trail shoe would be fine for that. Everyone I know that does them really enjoys them. It's a good idea to train for the elevation gains, especially on longer distances. At the check stations on the 50 a lot if bananas were available to be eaten by runners, along with energy gook.

The major difference between running in typical marathons where there are wide surfaces to run on, is on trails, you never take your eyes off of the trail and where your foot is going to land.

It's tough, but it's a great accomplishment when you cross that finish line. Have Fun!