Elliptical Machines

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am still confused as how to calculate calories burned after an Elliptical workout. I use a NordiTrack with built in programs. Its bit of an older machine with the BPM readouts on the handlebar. It will say after a workout, with resitance changes and some intervals that I have burned around 110 calories (30 Min). But websites, (even MFP) range from 230-330 calories burned for 30 minutes.

So what do you all think?

Misty

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I would go with the lower amount. Unless you are using a heart rate monitor that is set for all of your info, the site and the machines are going to be off.
    Or do an average of the two.
  • siriusciel
    siriusciel Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I agree. I use the eliptical machine at work all the time and I always go by what the machine tells me and adjust it when I log it in MFP. I think MFP averages out what you should be burning per how long you exercise. I use that MFP calculation, prior to me putting mine in, as something to strive for the next time :)
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    110 Calories for 30 minutes seems WAY low, especially if you are putting out even the slightest effort.
  • hollywoodfrodo
    hollywoodfrodo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    110 for 30 minutes could be right. It's hard to know. The more "fit" you are (body size/height to weight ratio) the less calories you burn doing the same thing someone who is less fit would becaus it takes them more effort and they therefore burn more calories. That's why gym machines that have any accuracy at all ask for your weight in order to calculate calories - but even then it's not an exact science.

If I did an elliptical for 30 minutes on the lowest level resistance and with a moderate pace, I'm guessing 110 cals would be about right. But I only weigh 158lbs. Someone who weighs 250 doing the same exact thing would burn more because they expend more effort to do the same exercise. But if the resistance is turned up and if it's done at a higher pace/RPM then the calories would increase.

BTW - intervals burn calories the best and are best for your heart, so next time maybe try to increast your RPMs by 10 for 60 seconds every 4 minutes. Or in other words, jog for 4 minutes - sprint for 1 minute. It's good for you! :-)
  • TulsaTim
    Options
    The averages I see on MFP are EXTREMELY high but what you are saying you see on your machine seems way low.

I normally average about 150-175 calories on my machine per 15 minutes and I usually range from 3.4 - 3.6 mph.

I guess buying an HRM would help you tremendously in this situation but until then I guess I would probably default to the lower rate if it was me.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I can burn 700 calories on a Precore 567 I machine for 60 minutes ,. This is with the risistance that flucuates between 1 and 4 and the cross ramp rises from 4 to 10 When I use the INTERVAL program, it fluxuates......

again, I know each is different, so Im only trying to help. The number of calories that MFP uses is like 3 times higher, so I use the out put on the machine I use..........I use the INTERVAL program, as it has HEART, WEIGHT LOSS, etc, but some one on here said to use the INTERVAL, as it really is one of the best,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope this helps.......Lloyd
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I do the elptical machine at gym and I burn 370 cals on average in 35 minutes.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    and I also do the interval program which goes from resistance 1 to resistance 8. I actually did 4.5 miles on it today and 370 calories in 35 minutes this morning.