At what point did you start buying new clothes?

Options
2»

Replies

• stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would suggest buying a few pieces as you get to each new size and/or as the seasons change. If you have a lot of money then you can buy new clothes, but for everyone else I'd recommend a thrift store because you won't be in that size for very long anyway so there's no need to spend too much. Maybe keep a small range of sizes so you have more of a selection and the clothes that are way too big can be donated.

Work clothes are a different story. Some jobs let you get away with second-hand stuff or clothes that are a little big on you (clothes from your previous size) but for other jobs you'll need to buy new suits every time you go down a size.
  • Schluey
    Schluey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, everyone! Lots of good suggestions I hadn't considered. I definitely won't be buying a new wardrobe, but it might be time to pick up a few "new" things.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I had like 4 pairs of pants that fit. One ripped out in the crotch, another is about to wear out in the thighs (both were thrift store finds). So I got a new pair.. which are already too big. So I bought one more pair. I'll wait until another 50% off day or until I'm another size down, which should be size 12.

ETA: The "new" pants are also thrift store finds. I can't validate paying full price for ANYTHING when I know I can scour the thrift stores and find 7 For All Mankind, Gap, and Lucky Jeans for $10 at the thrift store.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I probably dropped 20 or so pounds before I first started replacing some pieces. I feel and look so much better when my clothes fit properly, which is why I have been buying them as needed since I started losing. My favorite places to shop are thrift stores and consignment shops. When I feel like it, I head to the department stores to check the clearance racks.

Wishing you the best!
  • BabyJUDYKAY
    BabyJUDYKAY Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new skirt, a few tops, and some work out clothes. I only spent 80. I am waiting until christmas to get a few better things. I am looking forward to getting a pair of boots. In the past I could not wear them, because they would not zip up. I am going to be really excited to get those! I have a sewing machine, so I can take up some of my more expensive clothes and I won't have to get rid of them. However, when I reach my goal I am getting everything new!! .........Out with the old!! :)
  • BabyJUDYKAY
    BabyJUDYKAY Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    PS. Watch out for those thrift stores, because one of my neices went to one recently and when she went to try the pants on in the fitting room a SPIDER crawled out of the pocket!!! OMG. I would have had a heart attack! :noway:
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It depends. T-shirts and things like that are OK being baggy, but when your pants start falling down, you need to go shopping.
    I put it off as long as I could to avoid spending too much, but ended having to replace everything I had except for shoes, socks, and hats.

When I did get new clothes, I sorted all my old ones into donations to goodwill, rags for cleaning up, and others that were so worn they just got thrown away. Whatever you do, do not keep your old fat clothes around unless you actually plan on gaining back the weight. I have no intention of gaining back my old weight.
  • Weightwatcher72
    Weightwatcher72 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I buy clothes as I need to, for instance I've dropped from a UK 20/22 to a 16/18, so I'm wearing 16 tops and 18 bottoms, when they get lose I've already purchased some 16 bottoms as I can already do them up, albeit with a muffin top, so they don't fit completely yet!
    I've also bought a pair of jeans (see avatar) in my goal size, and I use them as encouragement on dark days
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I love it when people do not like thrift stores because I feel like that's less competition for the best items lol