Suggestions of Low Impact Exercises??

Options
Hi everyone!! :smile:

I just started MFP two days ago. I need suggestions on low impact exercises I can do. I've got hip problems (right hip was fractured in two places), so i have to work around it . My fitness goals are to increase flexibility, lose weight, improve balance and gain strength. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    When you say "hip problems" I assume you mean the fractures are all healed but still give you troubles? You don't want to be exercising with a fractured hip. :)

Walking, biking, swimming and yoga are all low impact. You should also look into a strength training program.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Walking, swimming, any sort of water exercise really (water aerobics, etc).

Just make sure you're cleared by your doctor for whatever exercise (if the hip fracture is old, you probably were, but it's good to double check). You may also qualify for some physical therapy, which could help you find the right exercises.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    The elliptical, amt, spinning, biking, water running, swimming, rowing, kayaking, strength training, yoga, walking, gardening, raking leaves, the arc trainer, aqua aerobics, I don't know if the Stairmaster is, my mum loves that machine.
  • ketresellwhite
    Options
    Give Pilates a go.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing. You may have to modify some things, or it might help you build control and flexibility.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've been doing deep water workouts :) check your local pool, it's fun, NO impact and a good workout.
  • hazenson
    hazenson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eliptical is a great work out with low impact on your joints. Whatever you try, start out slow and work your way up a little each day/week. Whatever you do -dont give up. A little soreness is ok but dont over do it that you have to take days off. And a little soreness will usually go away after about 10 minutes of your workout. A eliptical is hard for some to get used to tho- some dont like it-- but if ya stick with it you will love the results
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I gave up running years ago due to various injuries. I've only been doing low impact cardio ever since.

Bicycling (actual or stationary), skating (ice or inline), rowing (actual or machine), elliptical trainer, stair ergometer, swimming, low impact aerobics classes. You might want to try a pilates class or core exercises to stabilize the pelvic area.
  • Superpook
    Superpook Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey there- I had hip replacement about 1 yr ago and I started exercising again with water aerobics, coupled with weights. I also did the elliptical and cycling.

You really do need to get a physical first and consult with your doctor before doing anything if you aren't sure. My doctor cautioned me about yoga after my surgery because if the prostheses are torqued the wrong way and pop out....OUCH. But you don't have any replacements joints, do you?

The other thing the doctor told me before releasing me to exercise again was to listen to any pain and stop doing anything that hurt. (Duh!)

He also said that I couldn't run anymore, or do anything that involved repetitive pounding on my hip joints. Sad, because I used to run. And I can't ski or rollerskate either because the falls that might happen with those could be really bad.

Now I do Zumba, elliptical, cycling, the Les Mills Body Combat, swim, water aerobics, just about everything but running.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Try aqua fit. I have a hip mobility problem and this is great for stretch, flexibility, and cardio. I also walk (4-4.5 mph) instead of running and do core Pilates/yoga classes. You will find the instructors are very good at showing alternate moves for different mobility problems.

Belly dancing has been suggested and if you get a chance to take a class do. It is so much fun you don't realise what a good core workout it really is. I have taken 3 classes and still can't dance, but will sign up next time one is offered.

I do a bit of work with weights and have found the machines work best for me at the moment because I don't have to worry about balance as much.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! :smile:

I just started MFP two days ago. I need suggestions on low impact exercises I can do. I've got hip problems (right hip was fractured in two places), so i have to work around it . My fitness goals are to increase flexibility, lose weight, improve balance and gain strength. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance

Having extreme issues I started out doing all my work outs in water, so if you have a pool (and the weather) I highly suggest using your pool for it, if you don't I'd try to join the YMCA and use their pool, they may even have some programs. I did and often still do, water aerobics, water jogging and the list goes on all pain-free before, during and more important I leave the pool with no pain!
  • inkedmommy67
    inkedmommy67 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Rowing! I recently had hip surgery to repair all three tendons and shave down the hip cuff, and this makes me sweat without me having to use my legs too much. I walk after I row to get my leg strength in. Speed walk though, 16 minute mile pace.
  • sheminit2
    Options
    Whoa kinda overwhelmed by the amount of responses :) Thank you all. Yea it is an old francture, bout three years now. I just got metal plates and screws, none of the fancy stuff (I live in Jamaica). I was cleared for exercise but the thing is it wasn't aligned properly, so i get pain from time to time. Side note.. can you reply to messages individually?
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Side note.. can you reply to messages individually?

If you want to do it here you'd need to hit the quote button and then respond, it will quote the original message and then you can respond to it.

The other is to PM the person, which I'd suggest if you want to have a more in-depth conversation about one thing or another.
  • lulubeber
    Options
    don't know if it has been mentioned but: Callanetics ! The best low impact I've ever tried. Works wonders, protects everything.