How to know how fast I'm walking

bbcrafts
bbcrafts Posts: 7
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I walk my dogs 2 miles every day, but I have no clue as to how fast I'm walking. We don't do a fast pace, or a real slow one, so how do I figure this out so I can add it to the exercise database?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Figure out how far you are walking (it sounds like you know it's 2 miles) and then divide that by the minutes it took, then multiply by 60 to get your miles per hour.

So 2 miles in 30 minutes = 2/30 * 60 = 4 miles per hour

2 miles in 20 minutes = 2/20 * 60 = 6 miles per hour
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    If you don't know the distance and don't have a smartphone with a distance tracker like Endomondo, then just go to google maps or mapmyrun.com and estimate it that way.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    just divide the time with the mileage. If you walk 2 miles in an hour, then you are going 2 mph. If you're not sure how far you're walking, try mapping it out on www.mapmyrun.com
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    :wink: When we started, got in the car & drove the path we were going to walk. We have two different walks, one is 1.6 miles,the other 3 miles. There fore we know miles walked...our method!:wink:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Yep get in the car and measure that is what we did. It isn't quite exact, but it works.

Then look at your watch when you start and stop. If it takes you 40 minutes to do 2 miles then you are walking 3 mph. or 30 mins to walk 1 and a half miles then you are walking 3 mph.

Most dogs I would guess depending on size walk 2.5 to 3 miles per hour.

4 miles is really moving, in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.