Losing too fast? Hair loss...

My stats: female, 36, 5' 6.5", currently 201 lbs, started on MFP 105 days ago at 243 lbs, goal weight is 140-145 lbs,

I'm not an extreme dieter - I started out eating almost 2000 calories a day, and MFP slowly lowered that to 1720 as I lost weight. I set my goal at 2 lbs per week, since I had almost 100 lbs to lose when I first started. I thought I was lightly active - going by the MFP definitions, I only walk for exercise, about 60-90 minutes a day and at a rate of 3-3.5 mph. Nothing even close to strenuous!

I have averaged between 2.5 to 3 lb weight loss per week. I increased my activity level to active and lowered my goal to 1.5 lbs per week. That took my calories back up to 1860, and I eat almost all of that every day. I only eat exercise calories when I am hungry after using all of my regular calorie allotment.

Since making that adjustment, my weight loss has not slowed down at all. At the rate my hair is falling out, I won't have any hair left by the end of the year! I still have almost 60 lbs to lose, so I don't want to add too many calories and stop my weight loss altogether.

Has anyone else had hair loss when they were still eating plenty of calories? Any suggestions on foods/supplements that will help stop the hair loss would be appreciated! I am feeling better than I have felt in years, I'm really hoping it's not the weight loss causing the hair loss.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I would definitely talk to a doctor about the hair loss. Make sure your getting all your micro-nutrients in. You could probably still eat around 2000 calories (maybe even a bit more) and still lose weight. I'm 5'4.5", about 179lbs or so, eating an average of 1843 per day and losing about 1lb per week.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    make sure you're getting sufficient Iron, Vitamin D (2 i think?) and protein. I think Iron and Vitamin D are often the more likely culprits for women. I know that I was losing more hair than usual in the shower for a while and thought it might have been from losing too much too fast but when i looked back at my reports it happened to coincide with a period of about a month of just not having very much iron of which I already have chronically low levels... and I hadn't been watching for that.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Have to agree with the other posters - it sounds like it's time to see a doctor if you can't rule out the cause.

Make sure you aren't doing anything that is causing your hair to fall out. Mine started to thin and I thought it was due to the weight loss - it wasn't. As soon as I stopped using my hot curlers and switched to a conditioning cleanser instead of shampoo...within two months my hair was back to normal.

Best of luck to you!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Absolutely, see your doctor.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    There are million of recommendations, Biotin being the most common. EVERYONE has stuff to recommend that they swear will work.

As someone who lost a bunch of hair unrelated to weight loss and desperately tried things, let me tell you: don't count on it. I know you'll try, anyway. I did. It's horrible to be a woman whose hair is falling out. So depressing.

Cut it short. That looks better and gives it more lift. That's my advice.

Go see the doctor. There are plenty of reasons your hair could be leaving you, but only your doctor can figure it out and treat you.

Good luck.
  • ironsun
    ironsun Posts: 30
    Are you recently postpartum by chance?
  • I think I do have a fair amount of muscle for someone that doesn't work out. When I was 18 and 130 lbs, I was still in a size 12 in pants (that was 18 years ago, before vanity sizing, not sure what size that would be now).

What is the most reliable way to find out how much muscle vs. fat I have? That might help with setting my calorie goal. Money is an issue, so the most reliable and inexpensive way. I will be going to the doctor for a check up, I just need to remember to make the appointment...
  • Are you recently postpartum by chance?

No babies recently - my youngest is 6 years old now.
  • There are million of recommendations, Biotin being the most common. EVERYONE has stuff to recommend that they swear will work.

As someone who lost a bunch of hair unrelated to weight loss and desperately tried things, let me tell you: don't count on it. I know you'll try, anyway. I did. It's horrible to be a woman whose hair is falling out. So depressing.

Go see the doctor. There are plenty of reasons your hair could be leaving you, but only your doctor can figure it out and treat you.

Good luck.

Did you ever find out what caused your hair loss? Did your doctor have to do a lot of expensive tests? We have a special needs son that eats up a lot of money going to doctors, I'm hoping to avoid big medical bills for myself.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    I definitely agree with those who say you should see your doctor.

Make sure you take your vitamins, get proper nutrition and possibly take some folic acid. (I know someone who was taking medication that made her hair fall out and her doctor told her to take folic acid, but that could also have been related to that particular medication...)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    There are million of recommendations, Biotin being the most common. EVERYONE has stuff to recommend that they swear will work.

Good luck.

Did you ever find out what caused your hair loss? Did your doctor have to do a lot of expensive tests? We have a special needs son that eats up a lot of money going to doctors, I'm hoping to avoid big medical bills for myself.
    Yes, thyroid-related. And Hell, yes, there were many bills. Doctor, endo, tests, procedures, surgeon, cardiologist, surgery, biopsies, etc. And that's just the thyroid and not everything else that was/is wrong with me, lol.

Medical care, as I'm sure you know, is tremendously expensive. And time consuming. And demoralizing and sometimes humiliating.

But when they FIX you and your WHOLE LIFE improves...freaking worth it! :)

Didn't grow back. The stylist and every woman around had advice and swore things would work. The doctors didn't offer much hope. I tried everything. Knew it wouldn't work - tried it, anyway.

Coloring it helps. It feels thicker and holds shape better. So I color it, spray it with spray that HOLDS and I go on with my life.

Wish it had disappeared from my legs and not my head. :)

You must see the doctor. The hair loss sucks, but the reason behind it could suck more. You have children who need you. You have to make sure you continue to live. Go see the doctor.

Good luck!