birthday dinner dilema!

Hi all,

Its a friends birthday meal tomorrow and I really don't want to slip too much, but I can't find many good choices on the menu!!

It seems like everything comes with chips..... and I just know the salads will either have really fatty dressings on or will be tiny so I will be starving after!!

Any suggestions for something filling, yet not too calorific off the menu??

http://www.cattlegridrestaurant.com/cattle-grid-restaurant-balham.html

Thanks!!

Replies

• Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    It's your friends birthday! Indulge! It's not a common occurance.
  • EMergise
    EMergise Posts: 36 Member
    Normally I would, but recently I have found if I go off the rails for one meal I find it really hard to get back on again!!

I'm happy to be a bit naughty.... but I don't want to end up feeling guilty after so I end up giving up/ binging!! Make sense?? (I'm a bit all or nothing and I've had a really good streak the last few days, don't want to ruin it!)
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    A steak w/ a side salad
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    You could consider ordering the 7 oz fillet with one of the reasonable toppings like prawns or guacamole.
    Tell them no chips.

If you order salad tell them you want the dressing on the side. The soy and tuna salad might be good.

Essentially, you want to stay away from
    fried stuff
    heavy sauces
    things with lots of cheese
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    Don't eat the chips. Or ask that the chips not be brought to you. Eat an appetizer as an entree. If ordering salad ask for dressing on the side
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Quarter chicken w greek salad sound nice.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Steak or chicken, skip the home cooked chips and go for a baked potato from the sides menu instead, and some wilted spinach or beans.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    salad without the dressing.

But who am I to talk? My friend had a her party at a BBQ joint on Tuesday and I ate everything.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    I would do the 7 oz filet and either green beans or wilted spinach. And then enjoy a special dessert later
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Steak salad
    Tuna salad
    7 oz steak with baked potato
    Grilled chicken with green beans and potato.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    If the meal comes with fries or chips and I don't want them, I just tell the server to leave them off. If they can change less or substitute something else I'd like, that's cool, but I certainly don't expect it. Why get served something that you're just going to either be tempted to eat or leave on the plate to be thrown away?
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Greek or Caesar salad, add chicken, no dressing, add egg and avocado.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    These are great suggestions or you could eat a small meal before you go and get a salad or something small. Just have fun :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I agree with steak or chicken subbing a salad for the fries. The greek salad is listed as a side, and it is usually a good option.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Nice try on spelling Caesar, they have it 3 different ways in the salad section. Funny.

I'd probably order the teriyaki beef/red chili salad OR one of the burgers. It doesn't look like the burgers come with chips which would be a-ok with me, but if I was really hungry I'd probably choose one of their healthier sounding sides.

OR if possible and I didn't feel awkward about it, I would JUST get 2-3 of those sides because they sound really good!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I'm sure they will be fine with substituting the chips for one of the other sides. So... 7oz fillet and green beans.

It really sucks that eating healthier is so much more expensive though!
  • EMergise
    EMergise Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks guys! I did a half cheat meal in then end!!

Before I went out I ran 5 miles and then ate a load of broccoli so I wasn't starving!! I then opted for chicken breast burger (with no bun) with goats cheese, salad and half a portion of chips..... Not the lowest calorie choice, but equally successfully managed to not binge so I'm happy!! :-)
  • MrsLady30
    MrsLady30 Posts: 6 Member
    Get a meal that you want, cut it in half or a third (don't order the fatty cuts of meat like rib eye.. isn't sirloin suppose to be less fattening?)... ask for a take home box immediately, put the rest into the box immediately. Don't ask for anything that you think would derail your diet... maybe substitute a plain baked potato or sweet potato instead of fries or some steamed veggies if they have it? Drink a LOT of water, if you are consuming alcohol just get one drink that maybe you don't like so much so you can just sip along (my mom use to order vodka tonics due to this and then sip along all night). Split any dessert with friends (if you have one). Get back on the more strict diet tomorrow.
    Hi all,

Its a friends birthday meal tomorrow and I really don't want to slip too much, but I can't find many good choices on the menu!!

It seems like everything comes with chips..... and I just know the salads will either have really fatty dressings on or will be tiny so I will be starving after!!

Any suggestions for something filling, yet not too calorific off the menu??

http://www.cattlegridrestaurant.com/cattle-grid-restaurant-balham.html

Thanks!!