Anyone look too young for their age, I do

Options
Every other day at my break in between classes in community college, it seems i'm the target of the comment "Hey sorry if this seems rude, you look too young"

Oh really?, yes it is!

And my only friend hasn't made my desperation any better, only worse. I'm considering going back to being the quiet one 24/7 even at home. Just to let you know, I haven't had a girlfriend since ever, nor an actual friend even longer

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have always looked young for my age, which was really annoying when I was 16 or 17 and I looked 12. Then it was annoying because I think when I was interviewing for jobs maybe I wasn't taken seriously or something, but over time it has become a nice thing. I am now 47 and people cannot believe I have a 23 year old. I have nothing to blame but genetics (plus I don't smoke or tan). Just be confident in yourself and your opinions and your appearance won't matter and in a few years you will be glad you can pass for younger.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You'll mind a lot less when you're at my age. I've been told by multiple people I look like I'm in my mid-thirties.

I'm forty-seven, :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Every other day at my break in between classes in community college, it seems i'm the target of the comment "Hey sorry if this seems rude, you look too young"

Oh really?, yes it is!

And my only friend hasn't made my desperation any better, only worse. I'm considering going back to being the quiet one 24/7 even at home. Just to let you know, I haven't had a girlfriend since ever, nor an actual friend even longer

It'll get better.
    Promise :wink:
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I understand completely how you feel. It was like that for me for many years when I was young, and now it is like that for my daughter. She is active duty military and as you can imagine she feels very irritated when people say she looks too young to be in the military. I think people don't realize how it comes across to the person they are saying it to, I don't think they mean to be rude, (maybe a minority of mean people do).
    Just hang in there, you will be happy you have the young looking genes eventually, I know that doesn't help much right now, but know you are not alone and don't let it stop you from doing anything!
  • Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I'm 19, but I'm always told I look 14-15. I donate olasma when I'm home from university and all I hear every time is "you know you have to be 18 to donate, right?"
    And I REALLY know what you mean about it making it hard to find someone to date! Guys are hesitant to approach me because they think if they're seen with me they'll end up in jail LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    You'll get over it once you're 30.:laugh:

Like you, I looked really young for my age. At age 19, lots of people thought I was in 8th grade. Probably one of the other reasons I started trying to put on some muscle because I looked so small.

At 50 now, I get comments on how I look 40. So yes, it does get better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    People tell me I look 17 all the time and I'm almost 22. At my teaching placements I often get mistaken for a student...awkward.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Meeee... I went to see Annabelle by myself last night and the ticket guy asked me how old I am.. I'm 26 lol
  • christinelimei
    christinelimei Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    From appearance, I look younger than my age but sometimes I can seem older than my age. I'm 24 :) It's mostly in how I carry myself. When I'm on a job, I act more confident, and with authority. Then people don't ever question my age. They actually assume that I'm older than them sometimes, even when I'm way younger.

Be confident and find your voice. Don't shrink away and "become the quiet one." Stand out in a positive way :)

And you can friend me if you want. :)
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Right here!

I tell people im in university and they assume 1st year, 17 years old. Actually im a fourth going on fifth year and 21 years old lol.
    I get id'd for everything , even lotto tickets. I don't think ive aged in physical appearance since... 14 if that lol.
  • KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    I feel better knowing that in nine years I'll look older, hopefully hah, then i'll grow a beard :)
  • osmium3
    osmium3 Posts: 33
    Options
    Mebbe. How old do I look from my profile pic? My face looks thinner now, but how that equates to a more youthful look, I am not sure.

No cheating by looking. Oh, and under my hat I have a full head of dark brown hair sans any grays.

I have zero wrinkles as well.

On edit: I am nearly 53. No one believes it without documentary proof. I have had people guess my age as low as 33-34.

I don't think that is "too young," but I find myself embarrassed by the perceived difference.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah. When I was in my 20's people thought I was 13. When I was 26 and pregnant, people thought I was 16. I'm 36 now, and still get carded, and they really think I am younger than 19. People always ask me if I am in school. You will be happy about it when you get older, I think. Try to just enjoy life, and don't worry about it.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm going on 32 and sometimes my job requires that I visit local high schools; there have been several occasions I've been mistaken for a student by teachers and other students.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I'm 27 and people think I'm a teenager.. even teens themselves.
    Oh well. Age is just a number anyway. :D
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I'm 26 and have been mistaken for a teenager many times. Although I've found that since I've been married, I get carded a lot less. I guess they figure since I've got a wedding ring on I must be at least 18. :laugh:

As for shying away from people, please don't. I've been a shy, introverted person my entire life and I struggle daily to get out and do things with people. Life is a lot richer when you have friends and people that care for you that you can talk to and hang out with. You'll get more confident with age. Sometimes you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone and work for it!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I always have, but I attribute that to genes and....melanin. Yes, I said it. It does preserve things, so to speak.
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I like it now because I'm 37 but it can still be an issue in my career. I'm a doctor and some people are nervous when they see me walk in because they think I'm too young or just got out of school. I graduated 8 years ago so I have plenty of experience but I love the questions patients ask to find out how old I am. I used to get told "I'd rather tell the doctor that, hun", when taking people's history but now I walk in and introduce myself as the doctor right away to prevent confusion.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 and I think my appearance is finally starting to get closer to my real age. However, I was often confused for a high school student when I was a new college graduate. I get younger than I am all the time.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Take it from older folks, you'll appreciate it as you get older. :-) Embrace your youth and your looks. Use it to your advantage.

I am 38 and in some jobs I've held, people's first impressions were that I looked too young to have enough experience to do the task at hand. I still get carded when I buy alcohol. Last guy asked me, "Are you old enough?" to which I said "...to be your mother? Yes!" :-)