I can't stay away from candy... help!

Options
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to cut down or cut out the freaking candy? I love it and have a total sweet tooth. However I know if i could kick the sugar I could drop the weight faster... help me:frown:

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm someone who has gone from regular (almost daily) candy eating to very rarely eating candy. Someone else asked me about sugars, and this is what I told them:

I hate to break it to you, but it all comes down to will-power. I used to be pretty bad about sugar myself, but I've gotten past that. You have to just buckle down and don't allow yourself to indulge in sugary sweets. There are plenty of yummy food choices out there that aren't full of sugar!! I found that for me, the longer I went, the easier it got. The first week sucks, but the second week is a little easier, the third even easier, and so on. I do have some tips:

-Plan out your meals/snacks as much as possible. Don't allow yourself to eat unplanned foods - stick to your plans! The less you plan, the more likely you are to just grab something, which may be sugary.

-Don't bring unhealthy sweets into the house - if they're not there, you can't eat them/make them, and most people are much less likely to actually go out of their way to get sweets when they're purposely trying not to eat them.

-Plan out plenty of healthy (non-sugary) snacks. Examples are almonds, cut veggies with peanut butter or hummus or something like that, fresh fruit (natural sugar! still need to eat in moderation, but one or two servings a day is just fine), popcorn (without butter & salt), etc.

-Allow yourself the occasional treat - for me, this is usually a daily or almost-daily no-sugar-added hot cocoa, though I do really love black-bean brownies made with honey instead of processed sugar. Sometimes I'll allow myself a *small* serving of dark chocolate - the darker the better.

-Find alternatives to recipes that use less/no sugar, or that use honey or maple syrup instead of processed sugar.

-On special occasions (birthdays, holidays, etc.) I allow myself to have a "bad" dessert - regular cake, etc., but I DON"T allow myself to use it as an excuse to keep going. I have my one small piece and that's that. If you don't overdo it, you're less likely to want to keep binging on sugary foods. If I do overdo it... I still don't use it as an excuse to keep eating bad. Each day is a new day.. each meal is a new meal. Again... it all comes down to willpower.
  • bblgum8
    Options
    I have the same issue! So far chewing sugarless gum when I have a craving and keeping candy outta reach is helping.
  • ltshap
    ltshap Posts: 2
    Options
    Sugar free jello and sugar free hard candies (the SF IBC root beer float candies are the best)
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    I was terrible with sugar too! Everyday I had to have something and I just had to give it up cold turkey. Once the weight starts coming off you will want to stop eating it! It was terribly hard not to eat any sugar during Christmas, but I just had to keep telling myself that I didn't get fat by not eating candy. :) I will have the 60 calorie sugar free jello snacks for a dessert, it seems to do the job.

Best of luck to you!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello and sugar free hard candies (the SF IBC root beer float candies are the best)

Be careful, though - many sugar free products have artificial sweeteners. Some people have bad reactions to these and for some people it creates cravings for sweets just as bad as real sugars. Personally, I'm trying to cut out as much processed foods as possible, including artificial (calorie-free) sweeteners and processed sugars. I'd rather eat fruit and indulge in the occasional naturally sweet treat to satisfy my sweet craving.
  • kzwicker
    kzwicker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Once you cut refined sugars out of your diet for a while you will notice that natural sugars say...a banana, is super sweet! Then your sweet-toothed cravings can be fixed with more natural choices :) One nice sweet treat is to get some delicious specialty teas from somewhere like Davids Tea and drop a little honey drop in it. ( Honibe.ca )

20 calories and super yummie :)) Best of luck to you!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I started out using Smarties 25calories a roll - during the day for a while 6, 4, 2 and now I HARDLY grab them - but I know they're there!!. Now I use them every so often.

There are butterfinger stix 80calories (cereal isle above the candy) for a chocolate treat in the evening I only buy them when they're on sale 1.99.

I read from someone else posted tootsie midgets are a good replacement for chocolate and last long - I might have to pick up a bag for the house....

No pudge brownies are good....

Popcorn is a great one... 100calorie popbag

Oh, ****Lifesavers OrangeMint *****is great.... 20cal per mint (Good stuff) I used this at work and eventually I just stopped.

Jello pudding Instant made with skim milk ..... can't remember the calories on that one.

See if there is nothing small for me to grab then I'll go for something big....

Hope you non processed people aren't hating on me - slow going for me....

I'd love to read more ideas from others!!!
  • StephNE500
    Options
    I love candy, too, and I've never found a food that "replaces" the desire for it. It's true that stopping yourself is all about willpower and motivation. You have to make a conscious effort to not eat it, knowing what all that sugar does to your body. Also, look into products such as stevia and evaporated cane juice for use in your baked goods. Stevia is a natural sweetener and evaporated cane juice is less refined than white sugar so it retains more nutrients. Beware of consuming too many "sugar-free" products; those artificial sweeteners are not good for your body either!
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I gave up refined sugar on Sunday, and yes, it is SO hard. At least at first! If you can get yourself to go 3-4 days without it, it's easier to keep going. Believe me, there were times this week when I thought I'd punch someone in the face just to get a lick of a cupcake, but today I don't really want anything. You might feel kind of sickish at first, but then it feels sooooo good to be without it!

I know people suggest sugar free colas and candies, but be careful. Sometimes those make cravings worse, or even if they don't, too much can give you quite a tummy ache! Good luck! :)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I agree, it comes down to will power and that can only come from you.

Very few here would argue with me when I say christmas chocolates taste soooo good but are also very high in calories. From 3 tins of the things I have eaten a total of 6 purely because everytime I reached for 1 my brain would scream 50 CALORIES!!!! Arm yourself with the calorie content of all that you would usually reach for then think what you could have for the same calories and how long you'd have to run for to burn off what you want to pop in your mouth for a mere moments pleasure. It works for me, 6 times I've said "sod it" and given in but I reckon thats an achievement as at christmas' past I tended to just grab a handful instead of just 1
  • crazycat327
    Options
    OMG! I'm a sugar freak too!!!!

I can't keep the house totally sweet-free because my husband (SKINNY) enjoys cookies with his coffee. It's helped me to keep a supply of Natural Apple Sauce cups, fruit and sugar free Jello-pudding. My niece told me to get some Skinny Cow ice cream bars but I haven't tried them yet.

The candy cravings will go away after a while so just stick with it. I actually went cold turkey from all sweets for 4months and had fewer migraines! It's hard at first but you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    sugar free gum
    sugar free popsicles
    cinnamon capsules
  • stellarb
    Options
    for me, i just think about how i am now and how badly i don't want to be like this any longer. i cannot stand being in the shape i'm in for one more day. so to me, every day, every meal, every workout counts towards my end goal of 18% body fat and a 6 pack to match. i just think about that every time i have an insane craving. i cut out *all* carbs (minus salads and some fruit), so i feel your pain. i just started my keto diet 3 days ago and last night, i had a really hardcore craving in wal-mart for something sweet, so i bought some sugar free gum and ripped open the package like i was an addict and needed a fix, lol. i put that stick in my mouth, and it was the *best damn thing* i have eaten in 3 days! and i'm still on my diet!
    just think about where you want to be and think about the progress you've made. you can do it! believe in yourself! the rest will follow.
  • MissSir
    Options
    I used to have the same problem until a few months ago. I grew up on junk food and sweets were my biggest weakness. I no not agree that Will Power is all it takes. Will is only the beginning. It works for very few people, but not for most. I used to have a very "strong will" for months at a time, but when I relapsed, I fell hard.

Here's the trick I learned... it's actually brain science:

This may sound odd but the trick is to "lie" to yourself.
    The reason most of us are ineffective at losing weight or dropping habits is because we say one thing but think another. "I'm going to be good today, I'm staying away from sweets..." <- that's will. In the meantime you're actually visualizing or imagining the treats, how they taste, how hard it's going to be, etc... <-that's where "will power" comes in to try to save you.
    Will Power: "I won't let you eat that, I promise!"

Here's the problem... your brain doesn't know the difference between the truth and a lie. You can tell yourself one thing, but it's going to believe what you've already trained it to believe. It's going to believe your imagination because you've already told it that the sweets are good.

Here's how you lie to yourself:
    Don't make it about the sweets. Make it about the results.
    -For the next 30 days tell yourself, "I am fit, I am healthy, I am thin". Do this every morning (at least 5 mins), and every night (5+ mins) before you go to bed. These times are crucial to retraining your brain.
    This part is IMPORTANT:
    -When you're telling yourself these new "truths" make sure you IMAGINE the benefits or results you have in the future. See yourself eating healthy foods, in a new body, doing the things you may not be able to do now, fitting into smaller clothes. Really experience what it's like to have all the things you want out of being healthy.

Again, your brain will eventually believe this even if it seems like a lie to you at the moment. Your brain only sends your body the messages YOU are literally telling it. It takes 30 days to develop a new habit. If you're consistent with this new habit, you'll notice a difference within the first few days. Not only will your cravings go away with ease, but you will notice a shift in your body. I almost cried on my 4th day when I walked into the kitchen and went directly to the healthiest foods.

I'm still surrounded by all the same junk foods. We still have drawer full of candies in my house, and all the same people that were my reasons I thought it was hard to lose weight are still around. But none of what's around me affects the results I got out of retraining my brain. I no longer have cravings for stuff that doesn't work. I have lots of energy and have lost 10lbs effortlessly.

This trick can work with any results you want in life. Just tell yourself you already have it, then experience having it, and your actions will automatically change to get it.
  • Smile143
    Options
    I am the same way! Best way is to find healthy alternatives that you like but have protein...we crave protein in the form of carbs... Good Luck!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    edorice - I'm curious about the cinnamon capsules? I try to have a tspn of cinnamon a day to help with insulin resistance and weight loss.

Thanks

Karen
  • misathin
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the ideas and help! And i stay away from alternative sugars since I cant stand them lol I'm excited to try all these ideas and try so hard with my will power its so hard to be good
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    edorice - I'm curious about the cinnamon capsules? I try to have a tspn of cinnamon a day to help with insulin resistance and weight loss.

Thanks

Karen

The capsules work the same way. It helps to regulate the blood sugar, curbs the cravings for sweets, and as a result aids fat loss. It's just easier to take down the capsules if you don't have a food to sprinkle the cinnamon on. I have 500 mg cinnamon capsule at my desk at work.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Thanks

Karen

Karen/Edoris - I am insulin resistant, please tell me more about the cinnamon... I be at my Dr's office on friday but this totally got my attention....do you take it when your craving sweets - how does the sweet craving satified??

Just wondering Thanks so much,
  • IreneAdler
    Options
    I feel your pain.

First thing I did was throw away all candy in the house--or put it in the freezer so I can't get at it.

At the grocery store, I have to grip the shopping cart tightly with both hands when I go down the candy aisle (and chips aisle) to keep the stuff from jumping into the cart. Or I don't go down the aisle at all. Plus, I resolve to only purchase items on the shopping list.

At work today, I had to resist the urge to toss all the candy in the break room, just so I wouldn't have to look at it. My coworkers might have complained.

I had some cravings yesterday, so I ate a honeycrisp apple--they are really sweet.

I also believe that if you still have the craving after several hours, you need to do something about it. I keep some portion-controlled single serving chocolate (read: small ghiradelli chocolates) on hand for such an occasion and limit myself to one. Right now, all the chocolate is in the freezer, though :happy: