going out to eat tomorrow for lunch and....

Options
Im like freaking out! We are going to eat to celebrate my dads new job after over a year of unemployment and im scared cuz ive been doing good and i dont know what to eat that wont completely ruin my day of eating...

Replies

• TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Salad? (dressing on the side so you control how much you add)
    Appetizer?

Just stay away from deep fried stuff. Instead order things baked or grilled and skip the fries, opt for veggies instead. As far as drinks go, keep it to water, teas, coffee or if you're not fussy diet soda.

Also stay away from things that have sauces which sound heavy (think cream and cheese sauces)

I love grilled wraps so that's usually what I order.

If you know which restaurant you're going to, check the dishes nutritional info online if they have it and plan ahead.

Otherwise just see it as a cheat day and eat lighter the next few days. :flowerforyou:
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Don't freak out, you're going to hit many restaurants in you life :)

Do you know where they are going? If so, see if that place has their menu online (most do). Look for good choices like chicken, fish, lean pork with a side of steamed veggies a nice house salad with the dressing on the side (get the light dressing - no ranch or anything)....

Then plug in the numbers in MFP and back out any during the rest of the day to hit your totals.

If anyone asks or mentions what you're eating at lunch, just say I'm trying to eat better nutritional food....don't say you are "dieting".

Have a nice time and enjoy yourself. Log everything the best you can.

Karen
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    do you know where you're going? I like to take a look at the menu online before going somewhere so I can plan my day around it and decide what I'm going to eat and how to eat the rest of the day.

Even if they have no nutritional info available you can make a good guesstimate.

Sometimes I just decide I'm going to eat more than my target calories for one day - I'm always still in a deficit, just a slightly smaller one.

Good luck, try to enjoy yourself. :smile:
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes places have their nutrition for the menu online, one of the reasons I love having a smartphone. You can look online on computer before you go if you know ahead of time as well.

Eating better doesn't mean you have to be stuck at home for every meal :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You really need to start understanding that one meal, one food item is only part of the overall picture. You posted the other day about eating noodles and you were going to quit, then it was pancakes that put you 300 calories over. This would be the time to start learning and understanding about nutrition.

But let me back track some first, Congrats to your Dad on getting a new job! After being unemployed for a year this should be celebrated.

Now if you know where you'll be going you can check and see if they nutritional information is online, or check the database so you can get an idea so you can plan your day. Remember these will be estimates, and that's okay. If there isn't any that's okay too. You didn't gain weight because of one meal, and you won't lose it because of one salad. It's about consistency

Pick something you will enjoy, log it, celebrate with your dad on this wonderful new job, and again enjoy the time with family and friends.

Good luck and again congrats to your Dad!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    You really need to start understanding that one meal, one food item is only part of the overall picture. You posted the other day about eating noodles and you were going to quit, then it was pancakes that put you 300 calories over. This would be the time to start learning and understanding about nutrition.

But let me back track some first, Congrats to your Dad on getting a new job! After being unemployed for a year this should be celebrated.

Now if you know where you'll be going you can check and see if they nutritional information is online, or check the database so you can get an idea so you can plan your day. Remember these will be estimates, and that's okay. If there isn't any that's okay too. You didn't gain weight because of one meal, and you won't lose it because of one salad. It's about consistency

Pick something you will enjoy, log it, celebrate with your dad on this wonderful new job, and again enjoy the time with family and friends.

This girl is soooooooooo smart - listen to her.

I'm going to add one more thing. Look at every meal out as a little challenge. Part of losing weight and keeping it off is about learning to moderate - especially in the times we used to overindulge. Order a meal you love, log it, and then move on to tomorrow.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Also remember ...you don't have to eat the entire meal - you can ask for a to go box at the beginning of the meal (to avoid temptation) put half of the meal (or more) in it - and eat later.
    Enjoy the celebration and don't over stress....
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This should not be a problem. Most restaurants have similsr items on their menus. Figure out what type of restaurant you are going to (Chinese, Mexican, general American, etc.) Then think of what you would likely order and look up the calories now. Visit the restaurant's website or if it doesn't have one, look up the individual parts of the meal. It is very easy to go out to eat and eat in moderation.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    order a salad with a low cal dressing. Crisis averted.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

This girl is soooooooooo smart - listen to her.

I'm going to add one more thing. Look at every meal out as a little challenge. Part of losing weight and keeping it off is about learning to moderate - especially in the times we used to overindulge. Order a meal you love, log it, and then move on to tomorrow.
    x2
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Meat and vegetables is my safety eat when I have no idea what the place serves. They always have those.
  • phonegal2
    phonegal2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One other option would be to order a take out box at the first of the meal and put 1/2 of your meal in the box before you start eating. Set with that in your tummy and visit with your dad while sipping the water/tea or diet soda. I have a luncheon with 10 other utility workers every month. That is what I've started doing. They don't care.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    I agree with the other posters meat and lots of vegetables, fibre will lower the gi of the meal and protein will encourage glucagon production, avoid sugars and sauces and enjoy one meal won't wreck your diet ....