GIVING MAID OF HONOR SPEECH

hadl0032
hadl0032 Posts: 117
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
Hi Everyone,

So I am the Maid of Honor in my younger sister's wedding on 1/29/11, and I am having a really hard time writing my speech. This will be the third time I have been a Maid of Honor, but my sister is the closest person in the world to me, and I am feeling a lot of pressure and anxiety about giving the "perfect speech."

Any suggestions for good tips on writing a speech of this nature?? I just want this to be heartfelt, and to the point. I am not comfortable with speaking in front of large groups, and I also have a horrible memory so bringing things from our childhood is not really an option. (Plus- that is not really my style.)

Just looking for a good short poem, quote, or anecdote to give to the crowd, and then tell my sister how I feel about her!

Thanks for your advice everyone! :)

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I'd talk about what she means to you, how happy she is and how happy that makes you and welcome the new man into the family and maybe say that you've always wanted a (another ?) brother. :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Good luck. You may have already found this - but hope it helps give you inspiration :-)

http://quotations.about.com/od/weddingtoasts/a/wedding18.htm
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    As someone more than a bit quirky, married to someone more than a bit quirky, I absolutely love this Dr Seuss quote:

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."

Granted, most people aren't as proud to call themselves weird as my husband and I, but maybe you can find some cute quotes about love or marriage from unlikely sources like that.
  • Melisha82
    Melisha82 Posts: 243
    I think it means more if you add some old stories or embarrassing moments the two of you encountered when you were younger... then wrap it up with a really sweet sister poem or quote.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    I've made a couple of them.

First of all, down a glass of wine or champagne before your speech. :wink:

Second of all, you just tell your sister what she means to you. From the heart!! You don't have to go into detail from your childhood, but let her know all the things you admire about her NOW.

http://www.quotegarden.com/sisters.html There are some GREAT quotes in here...you could pick one that you love, start off with it, and go from there! :drinker:
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Speaking in public terrifies me, and I avoid it when I can. When I can't avoid it, I try to speak from the heart. Good Luck.
This discussion has been closed.