Active Hobbies!!!

Options
Wondering what hobby(ies) could one take to increase activity in daily routine. Personally, I have a lot of free time these days, and after i'm done workout, there is not much to do than just browsing the damn internet!

People can you think of any hobbies that can be interesting, fun and keep me active!!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

You have to find something you love doing, even when you are not being compensated monetarily for it.

I like to work at my garden. That is available for Spring, Summer and early Fall

I go out for walks at the park for late fall and winter

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hike and kayak. I love doing them so much that I work for the weekend not be off work but to have the time to hike and kayak.
  • OscarZelaya
    OscarZelaya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to find ways to cope with stress and what has worked wonders for me is good old walking. I put on my earphones, turn up my tunes, and just walk. It has sort of become a hobby, it's great. I'll walk for miles either in the street or on trails.
  • deliz618
    deliz618 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone you can download a geocaching app. It's hard to explain but a quick google search would show you. It's like a walking scavenger hunt.
  • photochik71
    photochik71 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Golf is fun!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I actually took up running, both to help me out on days when I couldn't get to the gym for my classes, and also if I've been laying around all day it's a great way to kill an hour or two while listening to awesome music and having a couple breathing and fitness related near death experiences because, hello, running is so awesome. Here's a link that helped me!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love hiking, you can pretty much do it for practically nothing (esp. if you get a national parks pass). And in winter you can try out snow-shoeing or cross country skiing, they are VERY active hobbies!

For indoor hobbies, you could try active video games like the Wii Fit, or those Zumba games.

You could also combine multiple things - go bowling with friends, then for a walk for some window-shopping, then head to a park for more walking and/or a quick lunch. You could get a pedometer and aim for 5-10k steps a day, so you're more inclined to be active than sitting on the computer :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Mow someone's lawn for them. :)

Gardening.

Wash the car

Walking or hiking.

Running

Swimming.

Kayaking, rowing or paddle boarding (surfing if you can)

Volleyball

Golfing

Batting cages

That's all I have. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Mow someone's lawn for them. :)
    Here (raising hand)

go on a bike ride
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I got a dog. He needs walked twice a day, about a mile each time. He's a bit older so when we aren't walking, he is pretty lazy. But a younger active breed would be a great way to get more more activity in your day
  • biancad_1992
    biancad_1992 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I second the running. I started this summer and LOVE IT. But even walking will burn a lot of calories. If you live in a place where walking to your destinations is feasible, ditch the car or public transportation and take long walks.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Rollerblade!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Wall climbing was listed yet, so I'll call that activity. :happy: In summer or winter (although winter is tougher, but there are indoor climbing gyms), you can do this activity. The outdoor version of top-roping is soooo much fun, and in the winter, there is something called ice climbing which is the same except climbing is done on ice faces instead of cliffs.

I personally love the winter time sports because I can't swim, but if you can swim, that is the best overall fitness hobby (low impact and yet whole body encompassing).