Too few Calories?

Options
The last few days I've been almost meeting my 1,200cal limit but *just* under by about 63~

Today: 1,168cal eaten and it still tells me I'm eating too few and it will lead to nutritional issues and starvation mode. Is this something I should worry about considering I'm so close to the cap?

:( Should I be eating more? I'm already eating 6meals a day, but I could always increase the calorie intake during Breakfast or Lunch.

Suggestions? Comments? :|

Replies

• cheppy
    cheppy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hello,
    I understand your problem. I am always eating too few calories even though I feel like I am eating all day. You can easily increase the calories by having maybe one more peice of fruit per day because for example an average sized pear is 80 calories and it can help you reach your goal and provide some good fibre and vitamins.
  • jessimacar
    Options
    I would say no. Don't stress over "starvation mode" if you're that close - especially if you're not always under.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty full all through out the day, but I'll try to add in something a little extra in the morning. I eat kind of late because of my schedule 10:30am-7:30pm, if I start waking up early enough I should be able to squeeze in piece of fruit before breakfast at 9am
  • monicat623
    Options
    My problem is that I'm under calories but over sugar...ugh so frustrating!! =(
  • Sigra
    Options
    I would say no. Don't stress over "starvation mode" if you're that close - especially if you're not always under.

• Sigra
    Options

Thanks weird :| I'm usually over in Protein, but under in everything else. Today my Sodium was high though (first day) Because I decided to eat Chicken Noodle soup and crackers for lunch (feeling a little under the weather T_T)
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

Depends on where the sugar is coming from. If it is coming mostly from fruits, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it is mostly refined sugar, then you should try and figure out how to have less.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Thanks weird :| I'm usually over in Protein, but under in everything else. Today my Sodium was high though (first day) Because I decided to eat Chicken Noodle soup and crackers for lunch (feeling a little under the weather T_T)

Being over in Protein is just fine. MFP sets the goals a little low on that. Consider it a minimum to hit instead of a maximum to not exceed.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I say TOTALLY WORRY ABOUT STARVATION MODE!
    Your body needs the calories to allow your body and all of your organs to function the correct way.
    That is why it is set at 1200.
    Try to add nuts to your diet. Protein. Avocado. A glass of milk. Cottage cheese.
    There are ways to get to the 1200 calories.
    Please read the past posts on starvation mode. There is a lot of good information on this site regarding it.
    My food journal is public if you would like to look at it for ideas.
    Good luck. Remember you're here to be healthy. Proper nutrition is the biggest part of that!
    Steph
    :flowerforyou:
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You might have to "play" with your food. I know how some feel about starvation mode, although it is true - just takes longer to "hit" some people compared to others. When I am over on my calories but keep on a regular workout regime is where I lose weight or tone/firm better. But that is my body. For some, they need to stay right at, or close to their "base" calories, some need to eat way less - depending on height, etc. Take a month a try different combinations, if something works, stick with it.
    The one thing I can't stress enough is Exercise. Without it, I wouldn't look the way I do right now (I've only lost 22lbs, but most people think I've lost well over 40lbs due to how much I've toned, firmed & strengthened)

Find your Niche and then just roll with it :flowerforyou:
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well what you guys should be doing is adjusting your Nutrition Percentages...

MFP has it set to 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat.

30% fat?!?! And eating less protein than fat?! That is not right for weight-loss. I think all weight loss diets should be high-protein low-fat. It has definitely worked for me.

Go to your Food tab and under Settings you can adjust the percentages. I would recommend 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat.
  • Sigra
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 25% fat, because 30% really should be a max.

Anyway, I don't think 1200 is some magic number that, the second your body goes under that number, it starts holding on to every calorie. I do think you should try to eat all of your calories, but don't panic if you're at 1199 one day out of the week. Do you exercise? If so, then I would eat a little more.
  • Sigra
    Options
    Yes I exercise every day, depending on the day it can be anywhere from 300-600cal. Today is a 600~cal day :) So my max food intake is 1800~
  • floridabootcamp
    Options
    don't forget that height also factors into the 1200 calorie minimum....if you are short (for a woman) then going under 1200 isn't that big of a deal....if you are of "average" height then I would just add a couple of extra bites to each meal. when they came up with the 1200 calorie minimum it was because that is what they calculated for the required daily calories of an average sized adult. remember, going under too much will force your body to hold onto fat and burn precious muscle instead...
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand it, 1200 is an average. "Starvation mode" varies from person to person, it could be 1100 for someone, and 1400 for someone else. There are few hard and fast rules when it comes to health, you have to find what is right for your body. I say, play around with your calories, and if you stop losing, or start gaining, try something else.
  • Sigra
    Options
    I would say I'm average high, 5'6" isn't too short :x I think "Average" is 5'7"

@Leigh: Thanks for the input! :)!
  • floridabootcamp
    Options
    ok...cool! if your not doing so already you should get your body fat % checked....that way when you lose weight you can make sure that you are losing body fat and not muscle...
  • gethealthyincali
    Options
    Ditto for me Monicat - especially if you eat bananas! So I added some cinnamon sprouted bread - it's only 80 calories and not so bad on sodium, sugar, starch.Also I figure if I go a little over on protein instead of sugar i can live with that, so I may start adding a hard boiled egg or chicken or something like that - just a small amount to bump it up.
  • Procrastinator
    Options
    Are you still hungry? If not then don't worry about it. You could be eating high fibre foods that fills you up nicely without needing to eat more.