What should my goal calories a day be?

tamatisk
tamatisk Posts: 17 Member
I'm trying get get healthier (and also want to loose a few kgs). MFP suggested 1,440 kcal a day but I still feel hungry on this and it is a lot less than I was eating before (I estimate I used to eat at least 2000 kcal a day if not more). I'm usually under/on my kcal goal and will go over when hiking.

Is there a way to check that the calorie suggestions that MFP give are correct?

My stats:

Weight: 51 kg
Height: 160 cm
Lifestyle: Lightly active
Exercise: at least three times a week - cross trainer, yoga, weights and hiking.

Replies

• cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    If I were you, I would aim to lose .5 lbs a week (convert that to kgs :-) ). You don't want to lose muscle mass. That should give you more calories and you should eat back around half of your exercise calories. Slower is better as you might actually stick to it. Also, I would go more by tape measurements and pictures than scale weight. Looks are more important than some arbitrary number on the scale.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    There is a site a lot of us use to calculate:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results

:flowerforyou:
  • GogoDri
    GogoDri Posts: 32

According to this page I need to eat 1700 calories per day to lose weight. MFP indicates to eat 1200 calorier per day. I think If I eat 1700 calories I will get fatter!
  • tamatisk
    tamatisk Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks. 0.5 lb is 0.2 kg which is what MFP is set to lose a week. MFP gives me 1,440 kcal and the website posted here gives 1510 kcal so pretty similar.
  • cookmtn

According to this page I need to eat 1700 calories per day to lose weight. MFP indicates to eat 1200 calorier per day. I think If I eat 1700 calories I will get fatter!

They are two differnt types of calculators. With scooby you do not eat back exercise calories. With mfp you do. Eat a certain amount of calories, give it a few weeks, adjust up or down. They are ALL estimates.
  • cookmtn
    Also, if a certain number of calories is too hard, start a little higher and go down gradually. It's all a matter of what works for You.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member

Only if you're not counting accurately. I'm 5'3.5" 120 lbs and lose weight eating that amount NET. And as stated, that number is supposed to be without eating exercise calories. It calculates your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure). MFP only accounts for day to day activity, so you should eat back calories with it....
  • 1400-1500 Calories is about right..

Carbs aren't very satisfying and the insulin spike will make you hungry and want to store fat.
    Sweet drinks.. even the so called sports drinks aren't for dieting.. stick to water.

Try to get carbs below 100g/day, definitely under 150g. Don't eat less than 60g protein.

Nuts are a good source of healthy fat and protein that will help you feel more satisfied.
    Natural peanut butter makes a satisfying snack if you don't have any peanut allergies.
    as well as salads and vegetables, raw spinach, kale, grilled chicken, etc.

Several small meals are more satisfying that eating too much at once and then not having
    calories left over later when you get hungry.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Are you sure you are overweight?

Anyway, use a TDEE calculator. This MPF methods seems to give no end of trouble to dieters who exercise. Don't count your exercise calories on mfp.

Use a TDEE calculator and then reduce your calories a little bit.

You are possibly hungry because of poor food choices. Increase protein, reduce refined carbs. Cut out sugar. EAt more fruit and vegetables. Increase fat if you are doing low fat.