So, I saw the weirdest thing at the gym today...

Options
I know the 'oddest thing seen at the gym' is a topic that comes up and I am particularly fond of an anecdote someone gave about a man who ran on a treadmill with a giant picture of a pug in front of him. However, I really saw 2 of the weirdest people I've ever seen at the gym this morning. I'm not a psychiatrist and I only observed them for about an hour, but I would be most surprised if they didn't have a narcissistic personality disorder.

It was a couple, male and female, early twenties and admittedly, they looked quite athletic.

Firstly, they kept looking at themselves in the mirror - not checking their form, but touching their face and hair. Or just standing there and looking at themselves. Quite often, they didn't look at each other when speaking, they looked at themselves in the mirror whilst they talked.

Secondly, they kissed quite a bit. But they looked in the mirror whilst doing this and sometimes they would simulate sexual poses whilst looking the mirror, and then take a photo of it.

They made some videos a few seconds in length of him curling whilst they walked around loudly pontificating what they were going to put in their next protein shake.

He called her 'b*tch' a lot - I have no idea if this is a funny in joke thing for them, but he was like 'pass me that b*tch' quite a bit.

When they were lifting, t'other one would act a loud cheerleader. Louder than necessary - the gym was dead. Every time they picked up a weight, they threw it down. I don't mean dropped, I mean raising your arm to at least shoulder height and then slamming it down, even the 1.25 kg ones, so at first, everyone kept looking round at them.

They then stood around for a bit touching their hair in the mirrors in silence, took a couple of pictures and left. They left at the same time as me, so I got to hear her singing to the gym music whilst having a wee in the stall next to me.

I understand that there are some people who like a visual record of their athletic endevours, I'm not judgemental, it's not my thing, but each to their own. Though it did get me to wondering what they do to commemorate when they, you know. They look like the type. Perhaps they get an arts grant and have some kabuki theatre to chronicle each and every time it happens and what their hair looked like during it. Or a lavish musical? Maybe Elton John is free?

I don't usually gawk at people, but it was hard not to on this occasion, there was no-one else in the weight area until just as we were leaving either. I would normally think that people like that would be thinking 'look at that lardass doing squats, it makes her already monstrous backside look like one of jupiter's medium sized moons', but not on this occasion. They could not tear themselves away from the mirror long enough to notice other human beings in the room.

Anyway - what's the weirdest thing you've seen whilst exercising?

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    hmmmm.... so i'm guessing they had 'straight' hair??? if i kept messing with MY tight curly locks, by the end of that workout session, my hair would be a huge FRIZZBALL!!!

5vptu8.jpg
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I imagine he looked like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiKxLNWRwn0hbqRY97p6Ag3QgsyBbd9YtFVlDreofbvt1TnAqqCw
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    We have some strange things at the gym where I frequent...but the one I see regularly is this guy in his late 20s who just started competing in fitness (the one where they neglect their legs but buff up the upper body and stand there in long board shorts)....he works out in spurts, then runs to flex in the wall-length mirror. Really spazzy about it too, so it is funny to watch, but I just can't figure out the purpose.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Hands down oddest thing I ever saw was the incredibly fit bald guy who showed up to do a body attack type class barefoot. In a wife beater and Lycra skort. Still can't wrap my head around a dude in a skort.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options

He didn't! He had floppy hair and a beaded necklace. Douchy, but in a different way.

He was though, wearing a vest that looked like the top of Borat's mankini. He may as well have been topless. At the back, there was only just material to cover the small of his back and at the front, you could almost see his nipples. There no arms at all, just sort of spaghetti straps, so there was nothing covering the sides of his torso at all. It wasn't pleasant.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    We have some strange things at the gym where I frequent...but the one I see regularly is this guy in his late 20s who just started competing in fitness (the one where they neglect their legs but buff up the upper body and stand there in long board shorts)....he works out in spurts, then runs to flex in the wall-length mirror. Really spazzy about it too, so it is funny to watch, but I just can't figure out the purpose.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    hmmmm.... so i'm guessing they had 'straight' hair??? if i kept messing with MY tight curly locks, by the end of that workout session, my hair would be a huge FRIZZBALL!!!

5vptu8.jpg

The woman had hair. I'm not sure what type, it was piled up right on top of her head in the shape of a collapsed donut - a style that is very much en vogue for the eyebrowless ladies on the go in the UK. And he had floppy surfer dude hair. But we live in a poxy rainy mill town in the north of England, nowhere near the sea.

I have curly hair, I had it all cut off recently as it was peeing me off at the gym.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I love people watching though haven't seen any funny ones at the gym dang it!

Although years ago I went out bar hoping and a very nice looking guy asked me to dance. I ended up walking off the dance floor because he spent the whole time staring at himself in the mirrored wall. I don't think he missed me.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous! I never see anything weird at the gym. *dejected* That would make my night for sure.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've only been going to the gym for a bit over a month but so far it was the old guy in jeans and a string vest who went off like a rocket on the treadmill, stumbled quite heavily, realised he was out of his depth, flapped a bit then managed to get off. Then he headed to the weight section, picking up what looked like a really heavy weight, curled it once and put it back. Then he picked up another couple of lighter weights, swung them at his sides like he was going to take off on a ski jump, made a weird noise then left. He was in and out in under 7 minutes (I was on the stationary bike so I was timing myself). I've not seen him since. Bless.

The people you saw sound a bit interesting. Maybe they were performing really odd foreplay?
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    I've never seen anything else interesting in this gym or my last, so there's a lot of weirdos to make up for!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    That sounds odd. Maybe they were filming something silly for youtube. Or they were high on crack. Either, or.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

He didn't! He had floppy hair and a beaded necklace. Douchy, but in a different way.

He was though, wearing a vest that looked like the top of Borat's mankini. He may as well have been topless. At the back, there was only just material to cover the small of his back and at the front, you could almost see his nipples. There no arms at all, just sort of spaghetti straps, so there was nothing covering the sides of his torso at all. It wasn't pleasant.

Oh my god. The picture AND the description of gym dudes outfit are just too much for me right now.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I once saw something similar. But it was a small group of girls. They came and got on three treadmills but never started the treadmills, they stood there and talked for about thirty mins while looking in the mirrors and taking pictures. Then they went over to the free weights but never actually lifted any. They took pictures of themselves and eachother, and posed in explicit ways. (grabbing eachothers breasts for pictures and bending over in the mirror. Finally people became angry because they where taking up space and there was many people waiting to use the weights..so a trainer had to go speak with them and ask them to leave the areas so others could use them.then when I was done my workout, I noticed that they where in the locker room and sauna area and where continuing to take many pictures. So basically they just came to the gym to take pictures and never worked out at all
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous! I never see anything weird at the gym. *dejected* That would make my night for sure.

I never see "the people of Walmart"
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Oh my god. The picture AND the description of gym dudes outfit are just too much for me right now.

I think he's wearing more make up then I do. Not hard since I don't wear any, but male or female, I thought the point was to subtly enhance, not scream I'm wearing makeup......
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

I live at the Jersey shore (seriously I really do) so I'm very used to seeing men like this one
  • lunalee84
    lunalee84 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I saw a skort on a man at the gym a week ago! Each to their own, and he did color coordinate...Maybe it'll be the next new thing..... :/
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a few:

1. There's a guy that I see at my gym who doesn't use any of the equipment but instead just dances and weirdly punches the air to the music on his iPod in between the weight machines. He's extremely energetic and it looks like he's getting a great workout but I'm not sure why he pays for the gym when he could just rock out in his living room.

2. There's a guy I see all the time who absolutely kills it on the elliptical. He's working his *kitten* off and I admire his dedication. BUT he also kind of does cheer leader motions with his arms and sometimes pats his own butt. I'm not sure if there's a reason for these things or if he's just getting into it, but it always makes me smile.

3. There's an elderly gentleman who rocks the baby blue short shorts with absolutely no shame.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I lift weights at home, so my entertainment is watching my husband make funny faces while he's doing a really heavy OHP.