stationary/recumbent bike calories question

Options
Why when I try to register my stationary bike calories do they not have miles per hour? It's either very light, light, general, moderate, vigorous, or very vigorous. I usually do 20 mph, which should I pick? They vary greatly.

I know, I know. get a heart rate monitor to be exact, but that's a lot of money to spend right now.

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf

Here is a list of METs for several different things, including biking with MPH listed. You can multiply the METs by your weight in kilograms to get your Calories per hour.
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    I to have simular to what you have. I also do about 20 MPH with a resistance setting in the middle. I log it as being moderate as I'm not low on the resistance setting nor am I near max (which I would log as vigourous). I also started mixing my routine up by pedaling backwards for 5 min intervals. i do 10 min normanl the switch direction every 5 minutes. I still log it as moderate. I would rather under log on cardio and over log and calories vs. the other way around.:smile::wink:
  • JForbrizzio
    Options
    It looks like moderate is right for me. That's cool/ A few extra hundred calories knocked off per week than expected.
    Thanks!