Alternatives to Senekot

Options
Hi!
I am trying to wean myself off Sennosides because of the bad side effects they cause for me. I am quite dependent on them, so I was thinking about trying Smooth Move tea or capsules to keep myself regular. Anyone had any experience with either, and if so... which is more effective tea or the capsules?
Is there anything else that I can try in replace of the Senekot?

Thanks!

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Prunes are good.

I was given lactulose when I was pregant, which the GP said was gentler than senna. I had it in liquid form added to fuit juice :sick: but it worked.

I have IBS and when it flares up, I have the opposite problem. I eat a lot of fruit and veg, but peeling and cooking them helps (no big bowls of raw peppers or lettuce and unpeeled apples/pears). Maybe these are the foods you want to try?

Given that you are dependent on these things to keep you going though, have you considered speaking to your Dr?
  • radiatingkayla
    radiatingkayla Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    smooth move tea is extremely bad for you - senna is a stimulant and your body becomes dependent on it and over time you will have to keep upping your dosage
    it is not recommended to use Sennosides or smooth move tea more than 7 days because it obliterates your colon, causes it to become lazy, and long term use can lead to living your life dependent on them to go
    seriously, stop taking laxatives - both stimulant/stool softeners/senna/etc. and give your body time to heal and function on its own! you're probably going to feel uncomfortable and constipated.....but you'll never know if you don't try & long term abuse (what you're doing) is going to lead to colon cancer and in many cases people need to get their colons removed and end up using a bag to go #2
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Have you tried more natural methods? I'm thinking liquorice, Orange juice, prunes, dried fruit, but also any thing you know has that effect, for me it's cashew nuts or onions.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    -I take a magnesium supplement to help me sleep better and reduce anxiety, its called
    "Natural Calm" I take 2 teaspoons to a full tablespoon every night mixed in a drink and one of the side effects of magnesium is loose bowels. You will sleep like a baby and poop at least 3 times a day.