Enlighten me please

Options
Recently I got the advice to eat more protein and fiber so i can ditch bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. However I don't know what this means. I really don't. But i want to quit bread. Whenever I try I become paralyzed because I've been eating bread since birth (or so to say). So I ditch bread and become hungry. Then I become paralyzed because I don't know what to eat instead of all these evil staple foods. And then i become stressed and just give in. How can i incorporate more protein and fiber. I tried oats but i can't eat it anymore because i stuffed myself with all the fiber to the point i became nauseous. But it did work for the short time I was eating oats.

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Eat some bread. The Roman legions lived off of it.
    Don't demonize foods is my suggestion.
  • stacydawn75
    Options
    Balanced meals- something from every food group at every meal and snack. Measure and/or weigh so you're not over-or-under eating anything in particular.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest easing away from carbs (bread, pasta, etc) slowly instead of trying to go cold turkey on them. I also have problems with not eating carbs, but honestly I have no intention of cutting them out entirely. I have, however, been trying to cut back. I try to have at least one meal a day that has little to no carbs. Sometimes I'll do eggs for breakfast, or for dinner I'll have a salad with meat, or just some kind of meat + vegetable.
  • Ristia_Amore
    Ristia_Amore Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to ditch bread and those other foods? Is it because of the gluten? If so, please keep in mind that unless you have a gluten sensitivity, intolerance, or allergy (all pretty rare, believe it or not), you will feel little to no difference after cutting them from your diet.

If it's because they are high-carb (aka high-sugar), try whole grain varieties of all of them! They're more filling, taste better, and are way better for you than their white versions.

If you still want to ditch them, try eating beans! Beans are high in fiber and protein, and can be paired with breads/rice/pastas as you wean yourself off of them. Try warmed beans on toast, it's great :)
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    *Eat lean meats like chicken and fish..tuna fish and chicken or salmon if you know how to cook …eggs have protein as well as dairy like yogurt and cheese.
    *I wouldn't give up bread. gluten isn't great for you so try gluten free bread.
    *Try high fiber cereal that is cold or warm cream of wheat has a smooth taste and high in fiber
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Eat bread, but how about nice whole grain with lots of fiber. Skip the doughy white sandwich bread if you can. How about brown and wild rice instead of white. Sweet potatoes instead of white. Then try some other grains. Try some quinoa recipes (quinoa also has lots of protein) or couscous. Add wheat germ to yogurt. I like the Kellogg Special K Nourish hot cereals that are oatmeal and quinoa with various flavors.

As for protein. Beans, meat, fish, poultry, and nuts. You know the stuff!

I found a great site called myrecipes.com You can search for recipes by how many calories you want the dish to have and what nutrients you want to key in on. Why not search recipes with less than 500 calories, have 20 grams of protein, and 20 grams of fiber?
  • science24
    science24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My favorite food is potatoes and while i love bread I cut back on bread almost completely but potatoes I could not, I decide instead to just cut back on how much I ate instead of cutting out completely. You can not cut everything you enjoy out and me personally is why dieting never worked for me. I still enjoy everything I ate before just at much smaller doses so when I get that craving I can still have it as long as it is within my means.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that maybe the REASON you get "stressed" is specifically BECAUSE you're totally trying to deprive yourself of a food.

That never ends well.

Yes, if you're restricting your calories to try to lose weight, eating getting too many of your calories from bread and rice etc. will make it hard for you to get good nutrition, because they'll take up a lot of your "calorie budget" and won't do much for you, nutrition-wise. But cutting back on a food is not the same as giving it up or restricting it entirely.

Just be more mindful of how much of them you're eating, to start. Ease into it. Yes, eat more lean meat and veggies and gradually swap those calories in for SOME of your starchy calories if you currently get a lot of your calories this way. But if you love bread, make sure that at least A LITTLE of it stays in your plan. Probably a little every day. That way it won't be always in your mind "Oh lord, when will this be over so I can eat bread again?" That kind of thinking does lead not only to bingeing, but to giving up.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eat bread, but how about nice whole grain with lots of fiber. Skip the doughy white sandwich bread if you can. How about brown and wild rice instead of white. Sweet potatoes instead of white. Then try some other grains. Try some quinoa recipes (quinoa also has lots of protein) or couscous. Add wheat germ to yogurt. I like the Kellogg Special K Nourish hot cereals that are oatmeal and quinoa with various flavors.

I agree. Switching to healthier whole grains is always a good idea. But I have to ask, who in their right mind told you to cut out carbs altogether? You need carbs! A reduced carb diet is one thing, but my god, to go ultra low or without altogether....you'd have no energy! Id consult a doctor before making any kind of decision like that.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Don't ditch comletely - reduce gradually.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The person giving the advice should also provide you with the whys and hows. Would you get a tattoo, for instance, just because I'd think that'd be great??
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Consider this graph and more great information from the Harvard School of Public Health's NutritionSource

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

37a280a5-cd7c-43f4-af54-c60e08be97f9_zpsa9bb5934.jpg
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Would you get a tattoo, for instance, just because I'd think that'd be great??

Would you think a nice sloth tattoo would be great? If so, I'm in.

A-three-toed-tree-sloth-h-008.jpg
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Would you get a tattoo, for instance, just because I'd think that'd be great??

Would you think a nice sloth tattoo would be great? If so, I'm in.

A-three-toed-tree-sloth-h-008.jpg

Yes! I love him (her)!
  • stacydawn75
    Options
    love that healthy eating plate :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just eat meat. I don't understand what the big deal is.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How can i incorporate more protein and fiber. I tried oats but i can't eat it anymore because i stuffed myself with all the fiber to the point i became nauseous. But it did work for the short time I was eating oats.

Eat beans, peas, broccoli.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Stop "ditching" anything. There are no unhealthy foods, just unhealthy portions.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't put any foods off limits. If you want to eat more protein and fiber add foods with them to your diet. They will make you less hungry and you will probably eat less bread if that is the goal. If you don't want to eat that way, you don't have to. There is nothing inherently bad about carbs, they give you energy. Some people have to eat special diets for health reasons. My sister is telling me to eat at certain times and less caloriries than I want. I listen to her and then do what I want. But, I don't see her daily.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Check my Food Diary/Instagram, I've lost over 100 pounds (now + prior to joining MFP) eating BREAD (and bread-like goods?) two or more times a day, every day!

Bread is not evil.

Bread is not the devil.

Bread will not stop weight-loss.

P.S. Those damn sliders I made at lunch were RIDICULOUS and going to be a total repeat recipe soon!