How to count calories in a can??

Options
So I have a can of mushrooms here. It says 284ml
Nutrition facts say 35 cal/ 125ml

Now I drained the can of mushrooms and then I put them into a bowl and they weighed 160ml on my scale.
Does the 284ml include the water I drained?? Can I count the mushrooms as 160ml or since I've eaten the whole can(minus the liquid I drained) should I go with the 284ml?? Very confused thanks!!!

*edit for typo

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but you really can't use a scale for volumes anyway. But yes it probably includes the liquid. I'd just use the nutrition for the whole can, even if it's probably not accurate.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are quite low in calories so you don't need to fuss too much and can count them however you like, but if you would still like to know, canned goods are usually measured drained. 125 ml is 1/2 cup. It's a unit of volume not weight. If you weighed them and they came out at 160 grams, 100 grams of mushrooms is roughly half a cup (125 ml), You are 160 grams, means you ate 1.6 of half a cup. Based on that, what you ate was 1.6 * 35 = 56 calories.

Edit: To recalculate if it's calories for quantity not drained here is how it works and it's quite easier: can has 284 ml, serving size 125, 284/125 = 2.2 servings in the can. 2.2*35 = 77 calories in the whole can.

I somehow doubt mushrooms are 77 calories per cup unless they have other stuff or oil in them. That's why I suspect it's for the drained quantity.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Does it say how many servings and how much/serving? Since you ate the whole can you could calculate it that way.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I go by the guideline on the can x