Better to stay low cal / low protein ?

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am a little hungry, but could wait it out til tomorrow. I find myself in this situation a lot--I eat all my calories and fall short of protein.
    I really like rice, oatmeal, and sweets a lot. I do think more protein will make me feel fuller, though, but I do eat bread and carby things quite often since they are cheap and filling.
    Make up your mind, what is more filling? I personally believe a good mixture of carbs, fats and protein, in the form of something you like, is best. Junk food is not cheap, you can eat and eat and never feel full because of lack of nutrients. Junk food is good for an occasional treat, not large amounts every day.
    I will try to get 40 grams tomorrow and see how it goes!
    That's not going to cut it either. You need 1 gram of protein for every kilo of your bodyweight.
    I feel kind of greedy if I eat a lot of meat actually.
    There is a lot of conflict going on here. You aren't greedy if you just eat what you need. Humans are omnivores and are supposed to eat meat if there is meat available. But you are "sort of greedy" if you eat so much that you get overweight. You can reach your protein goal without eating meat, but that takes a lot of knowledge. Get some books on vegetarian lifestyle, or read online.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am a little hungry, but could wait it out til tomorrow. I find myself in this situation a lot--I eat all my calories and fall short of protein.
    I really like rice, oatmeal, and sweets a lot. I do think more protein will make me feel fuller, though, but I do eat bread and carby things quite often since they are cheap and filling.
    Make up your mind, what is more filling? I personally believe a good mixture of carbs, fats and protein, in the form of something you like, is best. Junk food is not cheap, you can eat and eat and never feel full because of lack of nutrients. Junk food is good for an occasional treat, not large amounts every day.
    That's not going to cut it either. You need 1 gram of protein for every kilo of your bodyweight.
    There is a lot of conflict going on here. You aren't greedy if you just eat what you need. Humans are omnivores and are supposed to eat meat if there is meat available. But you are "sort of greedy" if you eat so much that you get overweight. You can reach your protein goal without eating meat, but that takes a lot of knowledge. Get some books on vegetarian lifestyle, or read online.

First of all, you are a very rude person.

You are insinuating I don't know how to take care of myself, which I do. I've lost over 80 lbs and recovered from muscular dystrophy by eating healthy and staying active. Are you insinuating that I am greedy because I was overweight? At 24 BMI, I am in the upper range of normal weight...being overweight before came from growing up eating fast food and watching people around me do the same. I realized that was wrong and changed my behavior and have lost 80 lbs, so I'm definitely not greedy.

People starving in third world countries usually have rice and carbs much more easily available to them than protein. Just like big families have an easier time feeding their kids a small portion of meat and a large serving of grains. Meat is more expensive... Whatever argument you make, I have my own reasons for believing in not eating above what is necessary in protein. I don't think it's beneficial to eat that much more protein and I don't have a lot of muscle mass due to having muscular dystrophy. I am a college student working part time and honestly don't have that much money and junk food is cheap whether you want to admit it or not.

Bread and certain other carbs are filling, but cookies and some others aren't. Don't tell me to make up my mind about what's filling. Also, I can eat as much junk food as I like and you have no reason to say a thing about it, because I don't need yours or anyone's permission to eat junk food.

I swear, some people on this forum need to quit thinking they are everyone's personal nutritionist or something.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

First of all, you are a very rude person.

You are insinuating I don't know how to take care of myself, which I do. I've lost over 80 lbs and recovered from muscular dystrophy by eating healthy and staying active. Are you insinuating that I am greedy because I was overweight? At 24 BMI, I am in the upper range of normal weight...being overweight before came from growing up eating fast food and watching people around me do the same. I realized that was wrong and changed my behavior and have lost 80 lbs, so I'm definitely not greedy.

People starving in third world countries usually have rice and carbs much more easily available to them than protein. Just like big families have an easier time feeding their kids a small portion of meat and a large serving of grains. Meat is more expensive... Whatever argument you make, I have my own reasons for believing in not eating above what is necessary in protein. I don't think it's beneficial to eat that much more protein and I don't have a lot of muscle mass due to having muscular dystrophy. I am a college student working part time and honestly don't have that much money and junk food is cheap whether you want to admit it or not.

Bread and certain other carbs are filling, but cookies and some others aren't. Don't tell me to make up my mind about what's filling. Also, I can eat as much junk food as I like and you have no reason to say a thing about it, because I don't need yours or anyone's permission to eat junk food.

I swear, some people on this forum need to quit thinking they are everyone's personal nutritionist or something.

That response is not rude. You should re-read. They were trying to educate you in areas where you seem to lack knowledge. You asked a question and other members are answering to the best of their knowledge.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well, honestly, it did come off as bossy and rude. I don't really like bossiness. Still, perhaps she didn't intend to be rude...if that's the case, I apologize!

However, bodyweight/2.2lbs does give a reasonable protein goal of 65. I feel confident I could actually eat that much protein.

Today for breakfast, I had an egg white omelet, so 183 calories / 15 protein which I feel pretty awesome about.

Yesterday, I did eat my junky carb food again but had a good amount of protein and even went under my calorie goal.

Breakfast - Turkey salad (20 g) + cup of milk ( 9g) = 380 cals / 29 g protein
    Lunch - Strawberry/blueberry waffle (400 cals / 6 g protein)
    Dinner - Ham / egg white salad with yogurt dressing (130 c/18g protein)+brown rice with butter (235 cals/5g)

1145 cals/ 58 g protein
  • stephaniestocklas9
    Options
    If you're not big on meat, why not try beans as a good protein source? I think they would be filling too if you found some tasty recipes.I like Mexican like recipes especially. And they are cheaper than meat.