Strong reaction to Niacin supplement

Options
2»

Replies

• mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    For improved circulation, take a 500 mg capsule twice daily before a meal. Be aware that common Cinnamon contains Coumarin which is the base ingredient of the blood thinner Coumadin. Cinnamon has reduced my fasting blood glucose and improved my circulation quite a bit. I believe it also reduces the potential for blood clot. Give it a try. By the way, Cinnamon in coffee is a great substitute for sugar in coffee.
  • KaJaa58
    KaJaa58 Posts: 17
    Options
    Just FYI

The latest and largest study of niacin, which included more than 25,000 people with heart disease, was published today (July 16) in The New England Journal of Medicine. The researchers found that using long-acting niacin to raise the HDL cholesterol level did not result in reducing heart attacks, strokes or deaths. The results were presented prior to publication last year, after which the manufacturer of the niacin medication used in the study, Merck & Co., said it would stop selling the drug.

The study also found some unexpected and serious side effects. People who took niacin were more likely than people taking a placebo to experience liver problems, infections and bleeding in various body areas including the stomach, intestines and brain.

Niacin was also linked with more hospitalizations among diabetic patients and the development of diabetes in people who didn't have it at the beginning of the study.

Thanks for the info. Interesting and scary study. I was told to take Niacin to help lower my Triglycerides. That was way the niacin that I got was time released, for long-acting.

The last thing I need is more health issues. I will be having a long talk with my doctor.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    For improved circulation, take a 500 mg capsule twice daily before a meal. Be aware that common Cinnamon contains Coumarin which is the base ingredient of the blood thinner Coumadin. Cinnamon has reduced my fasting blood glucose and improved my circulation quite a bit. I believe it also reduces the potential for blood clot. Give it a try. By the way, Cinnamon in coffee is a great substitute for sugar in coffee.
    You're right in that what is commonly sold as "cinnamon" is actually cassia which contains coumarin.
    Ceylon (Sri Lankan) cinnamon does not.