Daily calorie help!!

Options
Jla408
Jla408 Posts: 1,830 Member
Hey everyone, fairly new to all of this and have a couple of questions. I am currently 305, and looking to be just under 200. I am a 5'5 female. When I entered all my information, it said to eat 1900 calories a day before working out. I was wondering if I eat 1900 will I still lose? Or should I be eating less than 1900 to lose. I am just Confused about what to eat! Since logging the past few days, I've noticed I'm continuously under by 400-600 after exercising. So I'm only netting about 1400-1600. Is that enough of a deficit?
I am also looking for any friends who are on a similar journey, I log daily and have an open diary.
Thanks everyone,
Jessica

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    The 1900 is the net calories to have during the day, if you entered in that you wish to lose X pounds a day. :-)

If you are getting a net 1400-1600, that is absolutely enough of a deficit. You could eat more, if you're hungry. Like I said - you can have net 1900 and you'll still be losing.

As you lose weight, this number will change, because part of this is calculated by how many calories your body needs to maintain itself. The higher the weight, the bigger the muscle power needed to move, the more the lungs and heart work, and so on. All of these burn more calories. That's why you'll see very big guys have lots of calories they can still eat and lose weight (like over 2000-3000 sometimes, if they are very active).

As you lose weight, it will take fewer calories to do your body's daily maintenance, and so your daily net intake will usually lower, as well (although I can't recall if you have to enter it in, or if it alters automatically as you enter in new weights to check in. I can't remember now, I'm afraid).

If you like, feel free to friend me. It's nice to have that support, yeah? I have less to lose, but due to a few health issues, I have to lose it slower than normal, so I expect we'll be losing for about the same amount of time. :-)
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The way MFP works is that it will give you the number of calories you should eat based on your goal. So if you put that you want to lose weight and it gave you 1,900 that is your number. If you exercise and burn an extra 400 calories a day you could eat those additional calories for a total of 2,300 and you would still lose weight.

I personally never ate my "burned calories" back since it is only an estimation and I was almost never hungry. If I got hungry I ate more. I think you should start with 1,900 and see how you feel. If your energy level is good and you are not hungry then stick with that number for at least 4-6 weeks and see what results you get.

Good luck!
  • hoopcrazy
    hoopcrazy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Should I be concerned that I can't eat the 1310 calories I am supposed to? I do about 800-1000 if lucky. .. just not hungry.
    Do not exerciser much yet cuz of injuries, but feel good!
  • PapaPeace
    PapaPeace Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    @hoopcrazy If you aren't exercising, then 300-500 calories under your goal is no big deal. Your body obviously doesn't need it. As long as you feel good and are achieving your goals, I would keep doing what you are doing.
  • misslynn1976
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm having a problem with getting enough calories. I don't get hungry very often and when I do it takes very little to fill me up. Plus if I'm drinking water throughout the day like I'm suppose to, I don't get hungry at all and have to force myself to eat.