Hand calluses

Options
2»

Replies

• jodescorinna
    jodescorinna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just use a pumice stone to smmoth them out after a training session - that way they are still there - i can see them but they are smooth. Gloves, i find are a pain in the *kitten* and chalk only helps my grip when my hands get sweaty - i dont think either truely prevent callouses.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    chalk
  • berkayaliulker
    Options
    op, did you just say you squat on the smith machine? :s also use chalk
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    yes, eek smith machine
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I love my callouses.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't like wearing gloves either, and my hands got soooo gross for a while, and actually started becoming cracked and painful. I finally started researching ways to fix that and I found O'Keefe's working hands cream on Amazon. It's dirt cheap and you only need a dab. I try to at least use it 3x a day after washing my hands. It has helped tremendously...in fact my hands are soft again and I still lift 4x a week.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I like my callouses. Good snack.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I was just admiring my burgeoning callouses today. They are like a badge of honor showing I'm getting serious!
    Maybe I won't feel this way about them when they get big and gnarly though, lol.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Climbers suffer massively from callouses and we don't have the luxury of gloves. I remove them not for vanity, but because they are painful after a while and if left too long you can get what are affectionately known as 'flappers', this is basically when the callous tears from your hand and you are left with a flap of skin hanging off your hand that you have then rip or cut off, not pretty and often painful.

You can use a hand lotion after a workout to try and soften up that skin a little, you can even get ones with 'bits' in that will exfoliate as you rub it in. But for me nothing works better than giving my hands a good soak in warm water (this is to soften up the skin) and then getting to work with a block of pumice. It disgusts my partner when I do this whilst sitting and watching the TV with a bowl of warm water and pumice in front of me.
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I second the corn huskers lotion comment.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I'll work on removing them rather than preventing, I'll use the tips here since the only lotion I've ever used in my life is cocoa butter (not a girly girl).

I do use the smith machine, my gym has one squat rack that is always in use. Can't get a 150 lbs barbell over my head so it's my only choice for going heavier.