Shakeology or Lean Shake

Options
I just started insanity so my cravings for food has increased and Im afraid my body isnt getting enough nutrients or supplements. I have looked into shakelogy but the price kills me and I dont want to spend a lot if it just isnt right for me. I was also looking at gnc lean shake for after workouts. I want to cut my bad cravings, lose weight and not gain a whole bunch of muscle drinking protein shakes. Can you help me with some insight?

Replies

• apills19
    apills19 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Shakeology helped me, and I haven't put on a lot of muscle. A shake wouldn't do that, only intense training would make you gain and look muscly.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't make you gain muscle!!!
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I do strawberry with protein shakes because I like them and can drink them in the car driving to work. Never tried Shakeology but there are some really strong opinions on here about them in both directions.

The comments should get very interesting from here.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight and gain a whole bunch of muscle at the same time anyways so don't worry about that happening no matter what. Is there a reason you're looking at shakes instead of just eating regular food?
  • markop2003
    Options
    You won't gain muscle from consuming lots of protein. To build muscle you need to overload your muscles and to bulk a lot you'd also need testosterone shots.

You should look at Phd Diet whey: it's reasonably cheap, tastes great and has a good protein to calorie ratio.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself low on protein everyday, a protein supplement would be a great idea if you'd rather just get a quick 25ish grams in by chugging it instead of preparing a meal. Shakeology is very expensive though. Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey has tons of good reviews and the Double Rich Chocolate flavor is really really good. I get it on Amazon because I have Prime and the price is low.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes will not make you gain muscle. They are simply a source of protein. They are a pretty good way to help you hit your protein macro. No food will make you gain muscle, it's just food.
    Shakeology and that crap is just a protein shake with some vitamins. Just drink a protein shake and take a vitamin for 1/4 the price.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Do you realize how much work goes into building muscle? You don't just accidentally get bulky from drinking shakes or picking up the heavy weights.

Also, Shakeology isn't a protein shake. Its a meal. Call it a meal replacement if you are using it in place of breakfast, or call it a supplement shake if you are adding it to your daily diet. If you are looking for something strictly for protein, its not right for you. If you are looking for something nutritious, and want the vitamins, minerals, pre/pro biotics, and something to help you with cravings and overall health, then its your shake.
  • AyanaJolie
    AyanaJolie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    could do Jay Robb protein powder or if your looking for a vegan option try Garden of Life's Perfect Raw Meals. The Garden of Life brand is super healthy and amazing for you. But it tastes nasty alone. You will need to add something to it.
  • amberkirkjeffords
    Options
    Excited to try Shakeology this month!
  • hgodfrey32
    hgodfrey32 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight and gain a whole bunch of muscle at the same time anyways so don't worry about that happening no matter what. Is there a reason you're looking at shakes instead of just eating regular food?

Im horrible at eating healthy. Since ive been working out a lot more ive been taking baby steps and doing the eating 6 portions a day. Drinking more water. Trying to stay away from the junk food but its so hard. Ive cut down since I have been logging everything I eat and everything is put into perspective. Im staying at or around 1300 calories a day But my nutrition and in take of proper fruits veggies and carbs are not where its supposed to be. But slowly but surely.
  • hgodfrey32
    Options
    JAllen32 wrote: »
    Do you realize how much work goes into building muscle? You don't just accidentally get bulky from drinking shakes or picking up the heavy weights.

Also, Shakeology isn't a protein shake. Its a meal. Call it a meal replacement if you are using it in place of breakfast, or call it a supplement shake if you are adding it to your daily diet. If you are looking for something strictly for protein, its not right for you. If you are looking for something nutritious, and want the vitamins, minerals, pre/pro biotics, and something to help you with cravings and overall health, then its your shake.

I used to play college softball so I used to work out and lift all the time. What I mean by building muscle is that when I do start lifting I get more bulky rather than toned up and such. I did insanity before and it started to bulk me up because I incorporated lifting weights too. I just dont want that bulky muscle look like a guy since I am no longer playing ball.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    hgodfrey32 wrote: »

I used to play college softball so I used to work out and lift all the time. What I mean by building muscle is that when I do start lifting I get more bulky rather than toned up and such. I did insanity before and it started to bulk me up because I incorporated lifting weights too. I just dont want that bulky muscle look like a guy since I am no longer playing ball.

If this is how your body responds to weight training, protein shake or not it won't change anything. You don't have to be afraid of protein shakes they are just easy usually low cal protein supplement. In and of themselves they are no different than the protein you get from dairy and other places.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

If this is how your body responds to weight training, protein shake or not it won't change anything. You don't have to be afraid of protein shakes they are just easy usually low cal protein supplement. In and of themselves they are no different than the protein you get from dairy and other places.

Exactly. It is not muscle in a glass. It is just a protein source. It is no different than if you ate equivalent protein amount of tofu, or steak, or eggs, or cottage cheese, or yogurt. It is just a food. One of these is no more going to "bulk you up" than any other, simply by existing. They simply are sources of protein.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    real food is always an option …exactly what do you want the shake for..meal replacement, more protein, etc..? If you are hungry because you are doing insanity this is natural and not really a "craving"...
  • ndj1979
    Options

translation - if you want to blow a bunch of money on over priced garbage then shaekology is for you OP….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    hgodfrey32 wrote: »

no way you are going to "bulk up" on 1300 calories a day ….
  • hgodfrey32
    Options
    Yeah im being extremely careful with it and trying to stay at 1300 calories a day. Key word trying because o do have splurge days but still keeping those not too much over 1300 calories. Im a sucker for sweets and football party foods. So my nutrition and calories are coming from the wrong types of foods. I wanna strictly lose body fat for now then eventually tone up. Just cautious on not wanting to bulk and gain weight more than what I am right now. Thank you everyone for ur insights. Really helps when other people can tell the what to do and what nots :)