HRM???

Options
What exactly does this do? Im gathering it can cacultate calories burned. BUT do they really work, and if so which brands work the best?

Misty

Replies

• michelletr
    michelletr Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i've been wondering the same thing :)
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    they help u keep track of ur calories burned.

it all depends on what that brand offers in that particular model. i have 2 of them. i have the one that is just on the wrist & the 1 that comes with a chest strap. i prefer the chest strap b/c it keeps constant count of how many calories i burned 4 that workout instead of the wrist type b/c that one just does an average of ur heart rate.

so u hafta decide which type u want. the wrist or the chest strap?

then u hafta decide what do u want that model 2 offer that u'd use & how much r u willin 2 spend?

i prefer timex but a lot of ppl like polar. i'd say go 2 a sports store & ask questions abt them. there r plenty 2 choose from. after u've decided what u want in a model then u should price shop.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    oh i 4got 2 add that on mine i can tell it what my lowest & highest heart rate should b & when i'm over or under it durin the workout it lets me know. but it only does that in workout mode. so i don't always hafta turn that on.
  • Chgogal1
    Options
    Yes they do work. You need to get a good one though. I have found Polar HRM are excellent. What they do is monitor your heart rate so you know that you are working out at the right intensity. Some models can also keep track of your mileage and will actually tell you how long you worked in each zone.

You cannot rely on the display on the gym equipment as they are usually way off and will usually overstate your calorie burn. Hope that helps.