calorie intake confusion

Options
Hello all, i'm New at this site and i am hoping that i could get some feedback..
it says i can have 1200 calories a day.. i work out 60 min a day for 5 days.

now, if i burn 400 at the gym can i eat those calories as well and still lose the 1.5- 2lbs a week?

when i work out i am STARVING as my body is wanting nutrients.. (i dont have a lot to lose) my goal is to lose 25lbs.

any input would be great.

Replies

• Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    That seems low. You can eat back the calories. It sound like you are not getting enough calories. After you workout, your glycogen stores are depleted. Your body is craving healthy carbs and some protein. To help with this eat a banana and 10 mins later drink a protein shake or eat some kind of protein. Do this with 45 mins of your workout.

If you would like, I can recalculate your calories and give you a complete break down of your macros (carbs, protein, and fats).

Dustin
  • lauramazzie
    lauramazzie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    that would be very helpful... 1200 did seem pretty low. i don't want to lose fast.. slow and steady 2lbs a week is good but i feel that 1200 a day i would be starving! :)
  • pammy359
    pammy359 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake for the day is also 1200. That's for me to lose 2 lbs / week, and I want to lose 20 lbs also. It certainly keeps me aware of what i'm eating and makes me want to workout so i can eat more.
  • RISEOFPATRIOTS
    RISEOFPATRIOTS Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Did you tell it how active you were?
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    that would be very helpful... 1200 did seem pretty low. i don't want to lose fast.. slow and steady 2lbs a week is good but i feel that 1200 a day i would be starving! :)

most people around here will tell you that 2 lbs a week is wicked fast for someone who only needs to lose 25 lbs. Likely that goal is too ambitious and therefore you won't make it all the way as it's just too aggressive so it'll make it hard to stick to.

slow and steady for your size is likely more .5 a week or a pound.

Also most around here will suggest to eat back just a portion of exercise calories as burns are often overestimated.

Also if you included your exercise when selecting your base activity level then you wouldn't add them in or eat them back.
  • JordanElnahas1988
    Options
    It had me at 1200 too when I 1st joined a couple of years back and I always felt like I was starving. I told my sister what was going on (she's a fitness coach) and she felt that was too low and gave me a link to a site to get a better estimated guess on my calorie intake and got it changed to 1640. Was much better and I didnt feel like I was starving myself and was actually losing weight/inches at a much better pace.