Why is sugar the devil?

Options

Replies

• KatieKansan
    KatieKansan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I dont think sugar is the devil.. I really like it.. I just don't go overboard with it.. its all about moderation.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    In and of itself, it's not...but most people who eat the SAD consume it in unhealthy quantities. Also, many people who are overweight have insulin sensitivities and do well to reduce their intake of sugar and carbs in general.

^^ smart man here ^^

and for me (and many others, it seems) eating a lot of foods with added sugars just makes me hungrier. NOT what one wants when trying to lose or maintain. And it makes me cranky. Why would I eat a bunch of stuff that works against my goals.

THIS^^ I certainly haven't given up sugar (or other carbs), and I still eat sweet treats on occasion, as well as dark chocolate OFTEN. But I prefer my other foods without it. I don't need added sugar in my peanut butter or my pasta sauce. In fact, I think it tastes gross. Unfortunately, it's hard to find foods that don't have it anymore. You just have to be mindful, and read labels.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Just remember 100% of people that have ever eaten sugar will DIE!
    I think we should be told
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Read anything from Dr. Mercola

Mercola is a fraud. Read his works only for the comedic value because they are scientifically worthless.
  • Screechy1
    Options
    So agree!!!!! No cupcake pics pleeeeaaassseeee! New to dieting and will never lose sugar cravings.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So agree!!!!! No cupcake pics pleeeeaaassseeee! New to dieting and will never lose sugar cravings.

i would recommend finding a plan that works, which generally includes learning how to incorporate cupcakes into your diet on occasion. You have to remember, there will be birthdays and parties. So why not find a balance and enjoy them. In fact, i fit breakfast muffins into my diet at least once or twice a month. But I still focus on getting 80% of my diet from nutrient dense whole foods.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

i would recommend finding a plan that works, which generally includes learning how to incorporate cupcakes into your diet on occasion. You have to remember, there will be birthdays and parties. So why not find a balance and enjoy them. In fact, i fit breakfast muffins into my diet at least once or twice a month. But I still focus on getting 80% of my diet from nutrient dense whole foods.

I agree. I don't work them in very often, but I really enjoy it when I do. Usually it is birthday cake. I have learned that there is nothing wrong with eating it on a rare occasion, and there is also nothing wrong with asking for a smaller piece. For my birthday, I bought an oversized cupcake and a split of champagne at the grocery and really enjoyed my celebration!

Heading into the holidays, I probably won't do any baking, but will enjoy the cookies and other special treats when I am at other people's homes and maybe bring some home with me. If I bake a batch, I will eat it. I have learned that not bringing sweets into the house but enjoying something now and then when out or at someone else's home is a great way to treat myself without having to deal with sweets in the house and the temptations.

Nothing wrong with sugar. If you are someone who has a hard time controlling yourself, just control your access and enjoy and work into your plan the treats you do eat.
  • jessicak0614
    jessicak0614 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that for me it's about over consuming it. I truly believe that moderation is key but, if I have sugary foods in the house, I eat too much of them.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that for me it's about over consuming it. I truly believe that moderation is key but, if I have sugary foods in the house, I eat too much of them.

True, but when I take an honest look at what made me overweight, it had more to do with bad eating habits than sugary foods: second helpings at dinner, fast food too often when out and about, too many take out meals (mostly Chinese and pizza), and in general finding any excuse to go to a restaurant.

Bottom line: too many calories are the real devil.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Read anything from Dr. Mercola

No. Just no.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You literally didn't add anything, steve. He said it's being overweight that's a risk for diabetes, you said exactly the same again but in a tone that made it sound like you disagree with him.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    However I do think that for many people, including me, the easiest way to cut calories from your intake is to reduce the amount of sugar you consume - dont add it to tea/coffee dont drink sugary soda, dont eat cakes, candy etc - or cut down on these things and calories are reduced without changing anything else.

I think this is true. I don't think it's what OP is referring to when asking why all the posts that suggest that sugar is the devil.

I also think it's important to stress--as you acknowledged--that this is not universally true. Not everyone eats lots of sugar, and not everyone would find cutting the sugar they do eat the easiest way to cut calories. I personally found that cutting out some sugar (not this ridiculous hidden sugar that some people are all worried about) was one helpful thing to do, but it was also just common sense--basically eat sweet treats in moderation only (i.e., no need for a universal "don't eat cakes" rule -- and of course the greatest part of the calories from cookies and cakes is not actually from the sugar) and pay attention to the calories. The easiest and not especially noticeable way for me to cut calories was not sugar-related at all; it was to reduce portions of starchy carbs, especially those I ate mindlessly and without much added pleasure (i.e., a smaller vs. larger serving of rice) and replace those with more non-starchy veg. But then I haven't had sugary soda for ages (I don't have anything against artificial sweeteners) and prefer my coffee and tea black. If I racked up lots of calories in drinks, that would have been my first place to change, I think.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't need added sugar in my peanut butter or my pasta sauce. In fact, I think it tastes gross. Unfortunately, it's hard to find foods that don't have it anymore. You just have to be mindful, and read labels.

I've never found this to be the case, and I'm skeptical that people are really consuming that many calories from "hidden sugars." (Not against reading labels, though, and would recommend it, especially if you are eating lots of packaged foods and don't yet know what is in them.)

For whatever reason, I never liked peanut butter until I discovered the all natural kind, and even that I don't eat much, but I haven't noticed that its calories are actually less. Peanuts have lots of calories on their own. Similarly, the amount of sugar in store bought pasta sauce probably doesn't actually add many calories, but my problem with store bought pasta sauce (which I've never used) is just that it's much tastier (IMO) to make my own (and although I don't lots of cookbooks will recommend adding a bit of sugar to a tomato sauce).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    It's not. Those that preach it are just fear mongering.

+1...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    We want to find the devils in something besides ourselves that way we don't have to take responsibility.

+1...
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    im a full blown sugar addict and i know it.

i work in the wine and spirits industry and the days i dont have drinks i am just craving sugar so badly its scary

Oddly enough, every time my dad quit drinking, he'd eat the hell out of ice cream and candy bars.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    My what a hot topic perhaps this thread should be buried at sea, far too many angry people..... There is over 30 years plus of scientific research on the impact of refined carbs and simple sugars perhaps that would be the place to start.... No sugar won't kill you but I think the bulk of this research shows that the negative effects of refined sugars are , gramme for gramme, significantly higher than compared to other macros , the predominance of refined carbs has only entered our diet in the last 50 to 100 years , coincidental to the significant increases in diabetes, obesity , cancer, etc ok sugar is not solely to blame but it's high on the list of suspects