Additional sources of protein

Options
Hi! I always have difficultyneating enough protein. I usually get my protein from: meat, Greek Yogurt, cheese, legumes, edamame. What are some additional sources?

Replies

• nekoyaz
    nekoyaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nuts, particularly Almonds
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    eggs and fish!
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I love Greek yogurt!
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Milk, chicken, fish and egg whites.

But my go to source is: Shrimp...high protein, low cals..and great tasting.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, spinach, kale
    Hemp -- 10 grams in 3 tablespoons.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I always struggle to get enough protein through diet alone (on a deficit), so I recently started whey protein, and I don't know why I waited so long. In order to get enough, I have realized that I have to have a significant amount at each meal and snack. As far as whole foods, I get my protein from fish, chicken, cottage cheese (awesome high protein low cal food!), lots and lots of eggs, and greek yogurt. I find that nuts, peanut butter, legumes, etc. have too little protein for the amount of calories for me. Cutting out lots of grains and fruits has helped free up some calories for more protein consumption. Most of my carbs nowadays come from veggies, especially ones with protein! I think brusell sprouts are one of the veggies that have protein too, in addition to the ones mentioned.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Milk, chicken, fish and egg whites.

But my go to source is: Shrimp...high protein, low cals..and great tasting.

Shrimp! That's a good one. Gonna be adding this to the repertoire in the very near future!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Nuts, particularly Almonds

Nuts are mostly fat and calorie-dense, so depending on your calories goal the ratio of protein:calories may not be worth it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Definitely seafood. I always blow away my protein goal when I cook seafood, and the calories are so low that I can pig out on it....a whole pound of grilled shrimp or four or five filets of spicy flounder or lightly breaded talapia, a huge smoked Mahi Mahi chunk, or a couple of swordfish steaks. You can eat way more seafood for the same amount of calories than you could steak or even chicken.
  • sukkimi
    sukkimi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took black bean powder drinks