540lb man starting LCHF lifestyle. Yes or no?

Options
Hi there,

Iv'e finally been suckered into trying a keto type lifestyle. It seems to work for EVERYONE I have ever met and the results are outstanding.

Here's my dilemma. It just doesn't sound logical!! a 540lb man filling his artery's with saturated high amounts of fat? No longer able to eat lentils and split peas and quinoa but instead focusing on eggs, mayonnaise, cream cheese etc? Living In Canada it is extremely hard to get a doctor. I have been on a 15 year wait list so I don't really have any professional help.

What are your specific thoughts on a LCHF lifestyle (Low carb high fat) and do you think someone at my size really should try something like this?

Replies

• Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough about Keto to say yes or no. However, I will say if you are that worried about it or think it may be a problem due to your current health state then just try starting with calories in vs calories out. I have been doing that the last three years and it is what has worked for me. I do try to stay "lower Carb" due to my health issues but not low enough to be in Keto. I know there are a lot of other people on this site who follow Keto and can probably give you great information :)
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I also don't know enough about leto -- or unique health risks associated with someone your size going on such a diet -- however, I'm generally an "eat everything" kind of person. I do tend to avoid starches and simple carbs, but mostly because I find I'm more satisfied by eating a TON of veggies instead. I agree with the above recommendation to focus on calories in/calories out, regardless of what they're from.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Andy,

What's going to work for you is whatever diet you can adhere to long term. I would suggest logging your food accurately and honestly on here. Don't go crazy restricting what you can and can't have focus on the calories for right now.

I know for myself if I made drastic changes as I have tried in the past I lasted on them for 3 days to a month if I was really dedicated, after that I started struggling cause I was constantly thinking about what I told myself I couldn't have.

This time around I have put no restrictions on what I can eat, well there is one, I refuse to eat anything I don't truly enjoy. I try to make it fit into my day, some days are better than others. Remember it's about consistency, not one good or bad day (I'm over today by about 600 or so calories, but it's okay just means I ate near maintenance for the day)

Good luck to you Andy
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat this lifestyle for ever then go ahead. If it's not something you see yourself doing forever, then don't do it. Weight loss is entirely about a caloric deficit, and you can reach one with whatever macro breakdown you'd like that works for your unique needs/body/goals.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is that I have been LCHF since May of this year. Dropped over 60 pounds so far. Cholesterol is 108. Triglycerides are 54. Blood pressure perfect. Have enjoyed going of all diabetes meds. Feel great. Hardly any craving issues. But I also bike ALOT.....and I mean ALOT. Hope that helps answer some questions. BTW.....those are the best lab results I have had in over 30 years. Who would have thought or could eat butter, heavy cream, steak, ribs, cream cheese, eggs....... and not have cholesterol issues???
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options
    All I can tell you is that I have been LCHF since May of this year. Dropped over 60 pounds so far. Cholesterol is 108. Triglycerides are 54. Blood pressure perfect. Have enjoyed going of all diabetes meds. Feel great. Hardly any craving issues. But I also bike ALOT.....and I mean ALOT. Hope that helps answer some questions. BTW.....those are the best lab results I have had in over 30 years. Who would have thought or could eat butter, heavy cream, steak, ribs, cream cheese, eggs....... and not have cholesterol issues???

AMAZING! Truly inspiring, This is the kind of info I am looking for, either pro or con for LCHF!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    No idea if this WOE is for you as each person and individual is different but i have been following/reading Atkins (DANDR 2002) for just over 13 months while using MFP for logging and very happy with my progress physically, emotionally and medically.

08/27/2013 i was @ 432lbs
    today i am at 221lbs.

Good luck and best wishes in your WOE.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It all boils down to the method that will allow you to meet your body's nutrient requirements while properly fueling your workouts and other areas of your life while losing weight at a healthy rate over the long run. Personally, the less restrictions the better for me but you have to select the method that best works for you even if it means going through trial and error.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Andy,

What's going to work for you is whatever diet you can adhere to long term. I would suggest logging your food accurately and honestly on here. Don't go crazy restricting what you can and can't have focus on the calories for right now.

I know for myself if I made drastic changes as I have tried in the past I lasted on them for 3 days to a month if I was really dedicated, after that I started struggling cause I was constantly thinking about what I told myself I couldn't have.

This time around I have put no restrictions on what I can eat, well there is one, I refuse to eat anything I don't truly enjoy. I try to make it fit into my day, some days are better than others. Remember it's about consistency, not one good or bad day (I'm over today by about 600 or so calories, but it's okay just means I ate near maintenance for the day)

Good luck to you Andy

This is good advice. Once you are truly committed to getting healthy in all ways - you will make it work. Best of luck!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Andy,

Good luck to you Andy

This is good advice. Once you are truly committed to getting healthy in all ways - you will make it work. Best of luck!

All of This......... QFT.......
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Any diet that will help you keep in a deficit will allow you to lose weight. I personally don't think keto is that much better or worse than any other 'diet'; I don't cut any foods from my diet. I just eat smaller portions.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Look. This diet works simply because it makes you eat less. No special magic there. It works REALLY well if you're the kind who likes fat and does not care for carbs too much. If you like your carbs you will be miserable. The key of any diet is to b e something that you can do long term, else you will quit halfway feeling defeated. If you like your split peas, normal calorie counting may be a better option for you.
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    I should probably explain somthing because a lot of you keep bringing up this "Less in more out" mentality. That is exactly why I have been GAINING weight.

At my size to lose weight I need to be eating around 3800+ Calories a day. 6700 or so to maintain (This is based on about 22 different BMI/Weight calculators on multiple websites) The reason I am not LOSING weight is because I'm not eating NEARLY Enough during the day. So your theory fails for someone of my size.

I can only handle about 1300-1400 calories a day. I can't eat more than that because I feel way too full.
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    Look. This diet works simply because it makes you eat less. No special magic there. It works REALLY well if you're the kind who likes fat and does not care for carbs too much. If you like your carbs you will be miserable. The key of any diet is to b e something that you can do long term, else you will quit halfway feeling defeated. If you like your split peas, normal calorie counting may be a better option for you.

Haha its not that I like them, I hate peas and quinoa and all that stuff. But that is what we are brainwashed by pop culture to eat to be healthy. I think I would be a lot happier on the Keto diet and find it way easier to maintain.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Haha its not that I like them, I hate peas and quinoa and all that stuff. But that is what we are brainwashed by pop culture to eat to be healthy. I think I would be a lot happier on the Keto diet and find it way easier to maintain.

Then by all means go for it! I wish you the best of luck. If somewhere along the way you feel like you aren't making any more progress, you may want to count calories as well basically arriving at a combination of both. Health-wise, you should be fine. Low carb diets are no better or worse when it comes to heart health. The weight reduction alone will give you a better blood panel and lowered cholesterol, so don't fuss about saturated fat and the like. Just focus on your progress while keeping an eye on your health with regular check ups to see if you need anything supplemented or dealt with.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat this lifestyle for ever then go ahead. If it's not something you see yourself doing forever, then don't do it. Weight loss is entirely about a caloric deficit, and you can reach one with whatever macro breakdown you'd like that works for your unique needs/body/goals.
    Again I'll ask: if it's about calories in/calories out, why would he need to be Keto "forever"?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

So... why bother posting if your mind seems to already be made up? If this is a gimmick you can sustain for life, then go for it. You've been here for almost 3 years, so I kinda wonder about how this will go when compared to simple calorie counting, exercise, and hitting macros. Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Andy: you've got some decisions to make, clearly. And, you can always change your decision. But congrats on making the commitment to get healthy!
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about that diet...and I'm not a man...BUT you weigh well over twice what I weigh...and my doctor told me to lay off the animal fats entirely, exercise, and lose weight for my heart. I have mild high blood pressure and that's it -- I'm otherwise healthy. I have a feeling she (my doctor) would not like you to eat all this fat. Having said that, whatever you do, I would slowly incorporate exercise in your lifestyle. I think that would really help your health. Good luck to you!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Again I'll ask: if it's about calories in/calories out, why would he need to be Keto "forever"?

In the context of most discussions of this nature, first there a "mini forever" - the length of time it will take you to lose the weight. Sensationalized weight loss shows, which I do love (Chris Powell, anyone?) like to show participants dropping all the lbs in three months or one year. For most of us, it could take much longer. So when we say can you do this forever, we sometimes mean not as a quick two week fix or however long you've lasted on previous "diets" but rather truly for the long haul

The other kind is the real forever. So now you're done with "keto" or insert other diet here. How do you maintain your weight? How will you eat? Have you Learned what it truly takes to maintain this body size? Therefore the question is asked, if keto is not what you plan on doing long term and even in maintenance to think properly as to whether that's going to be your chosen path to weight loss