Feel the muscle, not the weight

Options
Guys this was posted by Mark McManus via his website and is worthy of a read

http://www.musclehack.com/feel-the-muscle-not-the-weight/

The title of this article itself is great advice. It’s probably the one thing that most lifters forget, which results in a loss of meaningful progress.

Listen…this is bodybuilding. The clue is in the name – to build the body. If you want your muscles to get bigger, they need to be trained in a very specific way.

Some people can make some size gains with “strength training”, crossfit, olympic weight lifting, and so on, but those modes of training are not hypertrophy-specific.

Ask yourself what your goal in this game is. If it’s size gains, if it’s aesthetics, read this…it’s important.

We talk about “lifting”. We call ourselves “weight lifters”. But really our goal is “muscle stimulation”.

Stimulating a muscle to grow is all about “HIGH QUALITY MUSCULAR CONTRACTIONS”. You hear that? I hope you are really getting this.

When you train, are you “moving weight” or “feeling the muscle”? It makes all the difference in the world, my friend. You must…

FEEL THE MUSCLE, NOT THE WEIGHT

You can FORCE a muscle to grow. In fact, that’s the ONLY way to make it grow – to give it no choice!

If person A is dumbbell curling 30kg and making a mess of it because it’s too heavy for him, he will stimulate ZERO growth. His ego might be inflated, but his muscles won’t be.

If he dropped the weight to 20kg and did proper full range, constant tension, slow negative reps, he’d start to grow again. Without exaggeration, he would probably double his gains (if not more).

It’s not about what other people are lifting. It has NOTHING to do with that. Your body is your body.

The numbers only matter relative to YOU. If you could only bench 60kg, but that is with 10 high-quality reps, great! You then seek to make progress from there. Stop looking at the guys benching over 100kg: heck they might even have flat pecs!

Knock out really high quality sets and consider the numbers as secondary.

Kai Greene

“Your primary goal is not to lift weights, you’re not a weight lifter. I’ll never be a weight lifter…for the people out there who don’t know the difference, a bodybuilder is primarily concerned with contracting his muscles. He contracts his muscles against greater and greater resistance [over time] and by doing that he is able stimulate hypertrophy [growth]. A ‘weight lifter’ is just concerned about moving weight so he can boast to you about how much he curls, how much he benches…”

Replies

• kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Great info!!
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Good stuff.

Also helps to take a step back and pretend you are in physics class. What does each joint do specifically? What is it's function? Where is the force being applied? Put the tension on the target muscle and focus on only moving that joint in exactly the manner it was designed to move.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    About time this was said...I occasionally hear people talk about how they're doing big weight but not seeing improvements as quickly as they thought they should be
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    No matter how much bodybuilding I do, I will never be handsome, so I lift to be strong, not pretty. Just as my powerlifting program is not ideal for bodybuilding, neither is a bodybuilding routine ideal for strength. Pick a goal and train accordingly. Or you could just exercise.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Then you lift differently.

Completely different goals and approaches. You know that Tom.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Then you lift differently.

Completely different goals and approaches. You know that Tom.

That's the point.