Need lunch ideas! (Working mom!)

Options
So I gag at the thought of eating lettuce :-) So no salads!
What do you pack for lunch? I get so tired of sandwiches and end up caving and going out a couple times a week.

I'm going to grill some extra chicken today so that I have left overs, but looking for some more creative ideas.
Thanks!

Replies

• 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Cook what you like to eat & bring it to work.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I try to make enough at supper to have leftovers for my lunch the next day. Little bit of meat, little bit of rice or fries, some veggies. I also try and bring an applesauce too.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Lately my go to lunch has been Greek yogurt, frozen blueberries and Kashi Go Lean. Easy to pack in advance, the blueberries keep the yogurt cold until lunch and there is decent fiber and protein.
  • rosepeppercreek
    rosepeppercreek Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been using Pop Sugar Fitness for awhile! It's great inspiration. I've tweaked several of these recipes, and always had great success. A lot of them are not salads.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Healthy-Lunch-Recipes-Month-34111080
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My go-to is:
    A container of greek yogurt
    String Cheese
    A Banana
    Some other fruit (whatever is in season and during winter... pineapple!)
    Quest Bar

And that's it. But that's usually pretty light, and I need to have a snack immediately after work. I also always carry with me a container of almonds and a stash of beef jerky and apple sauce in my desk to keep me going. I like to have little things through the day since sometimes I can't take a real break.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I work at home now, but I used to religiously bring lunch. Some of my go-to's were: can of soup, toast + half an avocado, overnight oats or just leftover oatmeal reheated with some milk and then add some fruit, peanut butter and banana or an apple, and like someone mentioned- dinner leftovers! (and everyone always used to be jealous that my lunch smelled so good when it was just leftovers.) Also- salad doesn't have to involve lettuce- what about a grain based salad like quinoa with some chopped up veggies, beans, etc?
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    after eating sandwiches at work every day for 8 year smoothies have been an absolute game changer for me

i make it the night before then put it in a thermos and freeze it over night, then i get up in the morning, put it in my bag and go off to work

then at lunch time i open the flask to find that it has defrosted perfectly and is ready to eat
  • Frenique9
    Options
    A chicken , shrimp veggie stir fry with olive oil and low sodium soy sauce is yummy and it stretches! Soups stretch too. I like to bake chicken breast tenders non breaded kind for the week and steam brocolli or any veggie and its so easy to pack
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oscar Mayer DeliFresh Grilled Chicken Breast (I eat all the contents - 6oz) and a couple tablespoons of salsa. Quick, easy, cheap, high protein. I need to start cooking my own chicken for the week though - sodium is pretty high as with most prepared foods.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Google "mason jar recipes". I use them and prepare for the whole week. You can find many without lettuce.

For instance:

http://kristaandjess.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/jar-lunch-deconstructed-sushi/

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/mason-jar-zucchini-pasta-salad-with-avocado-spinach-dressing/