None of my clothes fit? Keep or trash??

Options
So after 27lbs, 3in off my chest, 5in off my hips, 7in off my waist, and 9in off my stomach..

None of my clothes fit! I was in size 20 pants when I started, last month I bought size 16s
but they're already too big. I borrowed one size 14 pant from my sister, and that's the
only pant I can wear without my now tattered belt, lol
In tops I was buying 2Xs in October, I just bought new ones, Mediums.
Even my bras, from 44DD to 38D... :(

Here's my dilemma, is it time for me to get rid of the old clothes?
I look ridiculous in them, but I'm apprehensive about giving them away/trashing them.

How long did it take you to let go of your old clothes? I keep thinking what if something
happens and I gain it back. I have abt 60lbs to go, will I be trashing clothes like this
again and again? Is that what everyone with these awesome success stories is doing??
Negative thoughts I know...but this is so new to me...

HELP!!

Replies

• chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    You should keep one jean, one shirt, etc as a reminder of how you don't want to go back to that and how far you've come. Maybe give the others to goodwill or you could yard sale them?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and donate them. Not having them will be that much more motivation to keep going and never look back!
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing! I started in an 18 pants...and they aren't falling off of me just yet. I have a 16 that I'm wearing, but I can't wear them every day. Pretty soon though, they're all gonna be too big. Along with all the new work clothes I had to buy! I kinda wish we could rent clothes out while we're losing weight. I don't have the money to buy new clothes every 3 months!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have been getting rid of them just as soon as they get so big they look ridiculous! I do this because I. Don't to give myself the option of thinking "well if I keep them I will have something to wear if I gain weight back!" I am not going to fail at this, this time, so I am not giving myself anyway to.
  • Snowbunny95
    Snowbunny95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The first time around when I lost my weight (yup, this is round 2!), I gave away everything. I was determined I would never be back to that size. I went from a tight 18 (I REFUSED to buy 20) to a loose 10. Now I'm at 14 and had to re-buy some pants but thankfully most of the shirts still fit.

When I was originally losing from NOT 20 to 10, I would buy just enough clothes of the right size from my local Goodwill. Yes, it seems cheap and cheesy, but sometimes I wore them a couple weeks before they were too big. I think your local Goodwill or similar would be a good place to pick up new clothes.

I know it is tempting to keep the old clothes "just in case", but I'd say give them away - get them out of there! That way you don't have a crutch if you start to gain again. You'll just remember how much they cost to buy and get yourself back on track.

$0.02

Congratulations on the loss!!!!!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    get rid of them. You're not going back! It's a new you and you're done with them! Give them to someone who can use them. Find a homeless shelter or ????

Let go of the weight let go of the clothes! That's my motto. I'm not going back. I've lived in sweats for the past two winters b/c I wasn't buying new clothes. Now my old jeans fit so now to go smaller. :)

Good luck with your decision. Awesome that you're having that problem.
  • BlessedMystique
    BlessedMystique Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing! I started in an 18 pants...and they aren't falling off of me just yet. I have a 16 that I'm wearing, but I can't wear them every day. Pretty soon though, they're all gonna be too big. Along with all the new work clothes I had to buy! I kinda wish we could rent clothes out while we're losing weight. I don't have the money to buy new clothes every 3 months!

This renting out clothes is a GREAT idea, lol. Maybe not hygienic, but better than filling trash bags :(
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    we had cold weather (for us) and i layered some over the new ones that fit to feel warmer. i waited 4 months on the largest sizes, guess i was waiting to make sure my maintenance worked or the reflection was real! lol Congratulations!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    I've been getting rid of stuff as I lose. I think it's better psychologically to not have the safety net of big clothes stored away. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Shoot, forgot to tell you that I have been giving my clothes to goodwill! Also, when I buy new, smaller, things it is only if they are on sale and only a couple things because I KNOW I won't be in them long.
  • nancyggg
    nancyggg Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Give them away. Maybe keep one item to remind you where you were. Don't keep them for "just in case" . You never want to go back so......... get rid of them so they won't be waiting for you to get back where you were.
  • yasdnilear
    yasdnilear Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You should keep one jean, one shirt, etc as a reminder of how you don't want to go back to that and how far you've come. Maybe give the others to goodwill or you could yard sale them?

Ditto

Haha, so true! I agree!
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    You could always keep them for a while in storage; but I prefer not to say "just in case" I gain the weight back--I want to make a lifestyle change that keeps me from gaining it back! If you throw them out, you can always justify it by saying that by the time you were to gain it back (say, a few years down the road), that stuff would be out of style anyway ;P
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Took me 6 months to start to get rid of them. Once I reach my goal I may go up and down a little in weight but I never want to be this size again. If something does happen and I do have to get this size again I will have to buy them again. That keeps me motivated to keep working. I just bought 3 pair of pants a week ago and they are already falling off. I think I will check out my goodwill this time. :)
  • LizaJayne
    Options
    Get rid of them! My daughter just went through all my clothes. Some of them she said she never liked anyway and now was the time to part with them. I'm concerned about the money to keep buying clothes but I will shop at a local resale shop and Goodwill until I reach my goal. Someone out there needs your clothes more than you. Give them to Goodwill and move on.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Other people on here have posted topics about clothes that don't fit. They box up certain sizes of clothes and when people are in that size, they can message them if they want them, and they will send them the clothes. Kind of a cool idea!
  • MrsMarvelous
    MrsMarvelous Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!! :drinker:

My friend and I have been working out, and when i cant wear my clothes anymore i give them to her, also i have a friend who is smaller than me and she has given me some clothes because she has lost weight!! :flowerforyou: i was just saying the other day "man its expensive to lose weight!" :laugh: I used to be in 18s and for a while they were tight.. then bought a couple 16s now they dont fit so i wore a bunch of jammy pants etc ( I walked into the YMCA one day with jeans on and the girls were surprised cuz they had never seen me in jeans before.. none had really fit lol )and finally bought a pair of 14s and 12s the other day that should last me through winter...

i agree on donating them.. or if you can trade with a friend Its a great idea of buying clothes on sale!! i have bought 1 or 2 sizes smaller for only a $1 like at walmart and I am now able to fit into some of them :wink:
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I've kept a few of my largest size as a reminder and give the rest away to Goodwill. I also shop at Goodwill for my in-between clothing until I reach the size I want to be. I refuse to pay tons of $$ for clothes I'm not gonna be in forever!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have a bag going at the bottom of my closet. When it gets full I will toss it in the car (if I can carry it!) and take it to the thrift store. My guy has bought gift cards for department stores for when I can't wear what I have in my closet (one more size to go) as a reward for the lost weight. I kept one pair of pants from my highest weight, and one shirt. When I reach my goal weight I will take a picture wearing them to remind me of how far I have come.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    DONATE