what to add to keep me fuller for longer

Options
sloseph
sloseph Posts: 157 Member
I've been having smoothies for my lunch recently and i'm really enjoying them, the only problem is by about 3pm i'm hungry again

i'm wanting to add some more protein into the mix but i don't know where or how

does anyone have any suggestions what i can add preferably without adding too many calories

here is a quick example of a normal smoothie for me

Fage (Kerryf) - Total 0% Fat Free Authentic Greek Yoghurt (Uk), 100 g 57 cals 10g of protein
Tesco - Frozen Sweet Cherries, 60 g 32 cals 1g of protein
Tesco - British Strawberries , 80 g 24 cals 1g of protein
Whole Earth - Smooth Original Peanut Butter, 20 g 129 cals 5g of protein
Arla - Lacto Free Skimmed Milk, 125 ml 41 cals 5g of protein
Tesco - Banana, 100 g 105 cals 1g of protein
total cals 386
total protein 23g

Replies

• KatieKansan
    KatieKansan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    one of my friends puts Metamucil in her smoothies.. she said it keeps her fuller longer. Don't quote me on it because ive never done it before but it must work cause she looks amazing!
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Do you usually allocate a snack time (for after lunch)?

If you're "on the go", grab a protein bar....you can find some with 20-30 grams of protein, and around 200 / 300 calories....

If not, prepare a monster salad topped with a can of tuna fish (and go super easy on the dressing).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    protein powder.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Do you usually allocate a snack time (for after lunch)?

If you're "on the go", grab a protein bar....you can find some with 20-30 grams of protein, and around 200 / 300 calories....

If not, prepare a monster salad topped with a can of tuna fish (and go super easy on the dressing).

nah i don't really snack, i like to go for a run straight after work but i find that if i eat anything close to 2 hours before i run it doesn't sit very well

as for the response of protein power i'd rather go for some real food, plus i'm lactose intolerant and as far as i'm aware protein powered contains lactose, but thank your for taking the time to reply :)
  • lunalee84
    lunalee84 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I add ground flaxmeal to mine.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Well if you eat at 12, I think it's perfectly ok to be hungry again by 3.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    The 100% whey protein isolate powder that I use is lactose free...I also use Hemp protein.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein will add fibre and protein. Not as high in protein, but will help with adding bulk to maybe keep you full a little longer are chia seeds or hemp hearts.
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    quarter cup of dry oatmeal, if you are using a blender strong enough to tear it up.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Fat plays an important role in satiety. How about using whole milk and/or Greek yoghurt with more fat.

You could also experiment with adding more fibre, for example psyllium husks.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    quarter cup of dry oatmeal, if you are using a blender strong enough to tear it up.

Yep, i'd go with Oats.......very filling.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've been having smoothies for my lunch recently and i'm really enjoying them, the only problem is by about 3pm i'm hungry again

i'm wanting to add some more protein into the mix but i don't know where or how

does anyone have any suggestions what i can add preferably without adding too many calories

here is a quick example of a normal smoothie for me

Fage (Kerryf) - Total 0% Fat Free Authentic Greek Yoghurt (Uk), 100 g 57 cals 10g of protein
    Tesco - Frozen Sweet Cherries, 60 g 32 cals 1g of protein
    Tesco - British Strawberries , 80 g 24 cals 1g of protein
    Whole Earth - Smooth Original Peanut Butter, 20 g 129 cals 5g of protein
    Arla - Lacto Free Skimmed Milk, 125 ml 41 cals 5g of protein
    Tesco - Banana, 100 g 105 cals 1g of protein
    total cals 386
    total protein 23g

Try switching out your strawberries for blueberries. The glycemic index for Strawberries are way higher than blueberries and if you're spiking your blood sugar, you will be hungrier earlier due to the dip in your blood sugar after you're coming down from the spike. Adding the metamucil might help in the mix too, but it might bind you up a bit. :ohwell:
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with DoingItWell. Reasonable to start to feel a little hungry by 3. Pack/eat a reasonable ~100ish calorie snack. Outside of that, up the protein/fiber content of your smoothie with extra protein powder, chia/flax/hemp seeds, etc.